Finishing a coffee bean blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbb007

I am making a pen for my wife using Rockler's coffee bean blank.

I have it turned down almost to size, being very careful, and haven't had a blowout yet. I'm going to sand it the rest of the way.

I was going to put a ca glue finish on the pen, because the white part of the blank is softer than the acrylics that I'm used to, and I don't want the pen to get nicked up or to have coffee beans popping out; however, my wife doesn't want the coffee smell sealed in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to have a durable finish, but don't seal the coffee smell in?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I am making a pen for my wife using Rockler's coffee bean blank.

I have it turned down almost to size, being very careful, and haven't had a blowout yet. I'm going to sand it the rest of the way.

I was going to put a ca glue finish on the pen, because the white part of the blank is softer than the acrylics that I'm used to, and I don't want the pen to get nicked up or to have coffee beans popping out; however, my wife doesn't want the coffee smell sealed in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to have a durable finish, but don't seal the coffee smell in?

This just like the Jack Daniel's blank, anything you put on it to seal out the dirt will seal in the smell.

1080Wayne

Don`t think it`s possible . If you CA`d the drilled hole before gluing in the tube , that is about the best protection you can give the beans , shy of a full CA finish . Don`t worry about the plastic around the beans . I know exactly what your wife wants , but the trade off is the smell without the durability , or the durability without the smell - but both give the desired appearance .

I would go ahead and do the CA finish for durability sake. Eventually down the line the smell will fade anyway. And who know what the oils from your had will do to the beans. I would worry about the colored portion, it is likely alumilite and pretty durable.

Top Bottom