Finishing BOW???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

OK how does everyone finish your BOW pens??? Do you top coat with CA, laquers, shellac or others??? Do you just friction polish and let nature take over???? It is one of those woods that just not sure what to do. If you friction polish have you seen the results after a a few years to see if it got grundgy looking??? If you Top coat how has the finish held up over time??? Thanks for the replys. Really torn on this one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nolan

John I do CA or Enduro on mine, but thats really the only finishes I use now as I think for me personally friction polish is a waste as the pens finish just doesnt last and they end up looking in my opinion old and dirty. Please keep in mind this only my opinion.......

jttheclockman

Nolan

It was you I got the BOW from and finally getting around to doing some and have to tell you this stuff has some stunning grain patterns. I understand about the CA and protecting it and normally any wood I would do that but there is something about the BOW and I can not put my finger on it but it just seems to need to be toned down abit from the high gloss we are used to. I might try a couple things and one of them I may revert back to my scrolling days and use 2 or 3 coats of Danish oil. I use that on most of my scrollsawing things and it gives a warm nice feel to it and being it has some poly in it there is a chance it might hold up.

Still open for other opinions. I may have to do a search thing here because I know this has been talked about before but I guess at that time I was not making them.

Nolan

Nolan

It was you I got the BOW from and finally getting around to doing some and have to tell you this stuff has some stunning grain patterns. I understand about the CA and protecting it and normally any wood I would do that but there is something about the BOW and I can not put my finger on it but it just seems to need to be toned down abit from the high gloss we are used to. I might try a couple things and one of them I may revert back to my scrolling days and use 2 or 3 coats of Danish oil. I use that on most of my scrollsawing things and it gives a warm nice feel to it and being it has some poly in it there is a chance it might hold up.

Still open for other opinions. I may have to do a search thing here because I know this has been talked about before but I guess at that time I was not making them.

If you want to tone it down use that product that Moby Dick had/has as I think you can get it in matt, semi or high gloss. I have some of the high gloss just havent tried it yet. BTW glad your pleased with the quality of the BOW, I try to provide the highest quality you can get on every specie I sell.

Top Bottom