Finishing aromatic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisd

Hi,

I wish to make some pens with aromatic juniper, and am wondering how to finish it without "smothering" the great smell (like how Laguiole knives smell). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Don't finish it. I mean, really, don't apply a finish. That's the only way I know of to keep the sccent from being masked off. And even if you do that, the scent will eventually go away as the natural oils dissipate and evaporate.

DurocShark

Even unfinished, the smell goes away pretty quick. Instead, finish as usual, and make a sachet of the shavings to include with the pen. They get the smell for as long as possible, as well as a beautiful and durable pen.

leehljp

Member Liaison
There is nothing wrong with leaving it unfinished so that the fragrance can be detected.

However, unfinished pens will begin to show dirt build up in about 3 to 6 months. "Planning" can give the best of both worlds. If you are giving this for a special occasion, (i.e. birthday, Christmas etc) then give it for the person to enjoy for a few weeks or a month, then take it back for "finishing". Give it with a card with the pen that states something to the effect:

"This pen has an aromatic aroma that will dissipate in about a month. It will need a good finish to preserve the wood's beauty, but I did want you to enjoy the aromatic wood. Please enjoy the fragrance as long as it lasts and then return it to be finished so that the wood is better preserved for long term use."

Of course, you will need to tweak that to suit your situation. One minor problem is that you will need to knew how to disassemble the pen to apply a finish. If you are familiar with this process, it is not a problem. Usually, disassembly is not too difficult, and once done, becomes an easy process.

Don, in his post above has the best solution. I did have a request once for a cedar pen for its fragrance but I know that once it lost the smell, I would have to finish it for the person. I did that easily enough. The person was happy. (Note - I didn't say "customer" because it was a friend.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom