finish for shell casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I am getting ready to start on some shell casing pens and was wondering about the finish. I figured that I would probbly use a spray on lacquer. unless somone knows of somthing better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Consider using a clear powdercoat. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive powder coating setup that you can usually find for under $60.

Scott.

Fred in NC

Right, Scott, it is on sale for $59.99, regular $79.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42802

I bought it a few weeks ago, but have not used it yet. Harbor Freight only carries the powder in 4 colors. Most likely you will need to buy the powder elsewhere. It comes in colors, clears, and metallics.

PenWorks

I made a shell case display with a bunch of cartriges years ago. I buffed the shell cases on a buffer, then sprayed a clear urathaine over them. They still look realy nice, but have never been handled, so I am not sure as to the durability on them if they were used as pens.

Fred in NC

It is baked! For small parts a toaster oven works fine. Don't use the oven for food after that, this is a serious warning. I have a garage sale toaster oven reserved for this. Also, lots of ventilation is needed, plus a respirator or good mask.

its_virgil

Check out http://www.geckowoodworks.com for the article you requested. Learn to do it....I PC all of my cartridge parts and even some of the 10K and 22K pen kits. The stuff is harder than woodpecker lips.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jeff
<br />I wish someone would write an article for us about powder coating. Hint hint [:)]

Brent

Thanks Guys, Iam going to look into the powercoat. That was a great link Don, did you ever find your instructions for shell casings. Iam still interested in reading them if you still have them. Gregory, so far all I have played with is a 208 cartridge it seems to work pretty good for 8mm kit. but I think just about any shell casing would work,just according how you desighed the pen

its_virgil

Thankd Brent. I will look for what instructions and notes I have written up and get them to you. I'm sorry if I promised to send them to you and haven't do so. I just made myself a note to get them out to you.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Brent
<br />Thanks Guys, Iam going to look into the powercoat. That was a great link Don, did you ever find your instructions for shell casings. Iam still interested in reading them if you still have them. Gregory, so far all I have played with is a 208 cartridge it seems to work pretty good for 8mm kit. but I think just about any shell casing would work,just according how you desighed the pen

its_virgil

Not that I've noticed. I mic the dia of the coated parts and match the turned blank to those dimensions. It is easy if you follow the instructions on geckowoodworks. I live close to FT. Worth and Jay taught me how to PC. Some have even turned aluminum pens and powdered coated them. If you haven't already, go to http://www.columbiacoatings.com and look at the variety of colors.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />Does it add enough thickness to affect assembly? I had some plated parts that did.[:(] Sounds easy to do. Might have to learn a new skill.[8D]

Brent

Don, I'am in no big hurry,just at your lesiure. wayne, could you give me more inforamtion on the yahoo article. How do I get to it. Thanks Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom