Finish on shell casing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I was just wondering what every body else is using on there casings. I have used lacquer on mine and they have not held up very well so I will not sell any unless I can get a finish to hold up better. I know powder coating would be the way to go, but no one in my area does it.Harbor freight had a small powder coat set up on sale a while back but I don't think it would be worth it unless you used it for other things. Anyway I have made four or these, but 2 in may case which still look fine. The other 2 I have been using mostly on my desk and they do get knock around quite a bit. they both have some chips in the finish but not all the way through. one pen I must have not gotten clean before finishing or it had some moisture under it because it now is getting dark spots in it. I also noticed on the worst one that you can take your finger nail and take the finish right off. maybe some one has a better finish other than powder coat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

I talked to Lou about this last week.
I too have tried lacquer and so far it has held up,but the ones I've made stay in a display case until an upcoming show.
I have been using Lou's "presidents Choice" on top of carnauba and that may be one reason while they are holding up.
Lou also said Renaissance Wax would be a good finish to use as that is the intended purpose for the product in museums,to coat metal.
I have talked to area hunters and done a little survey as to what their thoughts were about having the shells gold plated.
At this point it's split 50-50.
Some say they wouldn't mind if the brass tarnished and that it wouldn't be a problem to use a little brasso every once in a while.
One of my Jewelry store customers was very interested in carrying the shell casing pens and he could plate them for about $4.00 a kit.
The good part about the deal is we would work out the cost in finished product.
I have another style of kits coming and have some casings coming that look like they will be a good fit.
I'll post pictures when I get the first one finished.
One thing you might consider,
THere's a body shop around here that advertises powder coating.Possibly one in your area also does powder-coating.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The powder coating you are talking about - is there a clear version of it?

I have been runnig the idea of turning some brass pieces but the protective finish has been my concern. I do have two antique brass and copper fire extinguishers that were finished professionally about 25 years ago and are just as shiny today as they were then, no tarnish on the copper or brass. I wish I knew what they used.

G

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />The powder coating you are talking about - is there a clear version of it?

I have been runnig the idea of turning some brass pieces but the protective finish has been my concern. I do have two antique brass and copper fire extinguishers that were finished professionally about 25 years ago and are just as shiny today as they were then, no tarnish on the copper or brass. I wish I knew what they used.
I imagine the fire extinguishers just hang on hte wall and don't get handled much huh?[:D]
Just a point in passing.
I condsidered this a lot when I started doing the casing pens.
I am a smoker and have several lighters.One I use a lot is a Brass Zippo.
When it tarnishes I polish it. that's it.
I think a cigarette light gets as much if not more abuse than a pen would.
I picture the casing pens going to people who like the outdoors.These people are used to taking care of their equipment.
Let them know up front it is a genuine shell casing and as such it will have the same characteristics of a shell.
One of the forum memebers once posted what he or she told their customers about the finish on their pens.
"I guarantee the finish.I guarantee it will wear off, the only question is how long it will take"
Tell them up front and you have no worries.
If you are intending to put them in a retail outlet print out a card with similar information,coat them with Ren Wax and make the agreement that you will stop by every once in a while to check them and polish as necessary.
That is always a good excuse to get your foot back in door to show tham a new pen or design.

Fred in NC

I bought the HF powder coating machine a couple months ago. I have not used it, and will probably not use it until the weather gets a little warmer. It is cold in my garage. I need to get some powders for it, including the clear one.

Both powder coating and plating can be done at home. Good plating requires a tank setup, and this means a few hundred dollars and a place for the equipment. The question is whether a person wants to make the investment and do the work.

Both processes require an absolutely clean piece for the coating to stick to the brass.

I said "good plating" because there are cheap plating kits that use a stick or "pen" to do the plating. The resulting plating is very thin, and wears out very fast. With the tanks you can control the amount of plating and make a better product.

its_virgil

Powder coating is the way to go. I PC lots of stuff including cheaper pen kit parts and the brass for the cartridge pens I make. It is easy to do the choice of powders is great. Check out the PC article at http://www.geckowoodworks.com...it tells all you need to know....I use the HF system.....catch it on sale for $59.99.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Brent
<br />I was just wondering what every body else is using on there casings. I have used lacquer on mine and they have not held up very well so I will not sell any unless I can get a finish to hold up better. I know powder coating would be the way to go, but no one in my area does it.Harbor freight had a small powder coat set up on sale a while back but I don't think it would be worth it unless you used it for other things.

Gary

Don, the link you gave in your message doesn't work.
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Powder coating is the way to go. I PC lots of stuff including cheaper pen kit parts and the brass for the cartridge pens I make. It is easy to do the choice of powders is great. Check out the PC article at http://www.geckowoodworks.com...it tells all you need to know....I use the HF system.....catch it on sale for $59.99.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Brent
<br />I was just wondering what every body else is using on there casings. I have used lacquer on mine and they have not held up very well so I will not sell any unless I can get a finish to hold up better. I know powder coating would be the way to go, but no one in my area does it.Harbor freight had a small powder coat set up on sale a while back but I don't think it would be worth it unless you used it for other things.

Brent

Thanks for the information guys. I'll try the ren wax for know until powder coating becomes availible here. Do any of you have a shell casing done in a powder coat in a color other than clear. I think a smoke grey or somthing on that order would look pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom