Finish/sealer for aluminum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looking for a sealer for aluminum, other than anodizing. Some time ago, Doc (wizard) mentioned in a thread, VHT from Caswell. I waited too long to check it out. NOW, it's been discontinued :redface::rolleyes: I looked at Sharkhide from Eastwood Products. They have a clear coat but, I'm not sure about that stuff (chipping, cracking etc.) Just wondering if there are any suggestions you may know about that, I haven't found yet. Thanks for any input!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Not sure if you are after a clear gloss or just a protective coating but there is another kind of process used to protect aircraft parts. It is a chemical process called Alodine. It doesn't give the depth of colours you get with Anodizing, just a clear or slight gold tint. It doesn't need the electrical goodies either. There are also other more environmentally friendly versions but I don't know the names or brands they go by. Might be worth looking into it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Not sure if you are after a clear gloss or just a protective coating but there is another kind of process used to protect aircraft parts. It is a chemical process called Alodine. It doesn't give the depth of colours you get with Anodizing, just a clear or slight gold tint. It doesn't need the electrical goodies either. There are also other more environmentally friendly versions but I don't know the names or brands they go by. Might be worth looking into it.
Thanks Pete! Very much worth looking into. Gloss isn't necessary as I like to leave a light brush look on the parts. I'll search it.

Thanks Mark! That's the stuff Doc uses. I only called Caswell and, the guy said they discontinued it. I may try both of these products.

jttheclockman

Chuck, this may not be what you want to hear but I would not coat it with anything. Unless you are going for a color change than annodizing or powdercoating is the way to go in my opinion. I have made pens with aluminum inlays and if they were wood then they get coated with CA. If acrylic they are just polished.

Here is a pen I made about 6 years ago and is an every day sit on the desk pen. It looks the same as the first day I spun it. It is all aluminum. I left it with a brushed finish on it. Some places it may show a little wear and has become shiny but did not tarnish or dull in color. just my thoughts.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks John the pen looks nice. It may be just me. Thinking the parts need some sort of hardening. I've seen/noticed some of the parts I've made have somehow gotten faint marks on them. I may have to either leave them alone or, anodize the.

Curly

Anodizing is the only way to harden Aluminium. It can for certain alloys, weaken them at the same time. Not important in pen making. All others coat the surface or convert it so that it doesn't corrode. The conversion coating mimics the oxidized surface pure Aluminium gets naturally that the alloys don't.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Anodizing is the only way to harden Aluminium. It can for certain alloys, weaken them at the same time. Not important in pen making. All others coat the surface or convert it so that it doesn't corrode. The conversion coating mimics the oxidized surface pure Aluminium gets naturally that the alloys don't.

Thanks again Pete. I may be anodizing again, skipping the dye pot :biggrin:

Top Bottom