Finish Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
After a half dozen attempts I am finally getting results that I like using the CA-BLO method. The problem I can't overcome is that the finish chips at the ends when I remove the bushings. I have tried to use a knife edge tool to make a parting cut but that doesn't completely solve the problem.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

three main options here... finish without bushings between centers, wax your bushings before applying your finish so the CA wont stick to the bushings, or third, buy/make some delrin bushings...

delrin bushings turned out to be the best solution to this problem for me... waxing the bushings was ok but if you missed a spot it stuck... i went to a tool shop near by and bought a mixed bag of delrin scrap to make the bushings out of... pretty cheap (around 10 dollars for a bag) and they are easy to make!

--Dave

mick

An easy way if you turn between centers is to eliminate the bushings when applying the CA.
If you still use a mandrel Johnny CNC sells a bushing eliminator kit which consists of cone shaped Delrin bushings. A good thing to check out

go to Amazon.com >>>>http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7967-Carbide-Tipped-Lathe-Center/dp/B000M64S2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326387521&sr=8-3
Stick this in your drive side MT2 opening and use your live center in the tail stock. Stick the points into the brass tube that you are turning/finishing and all your problems will be solved. You can sand with the same setup. Some people line a sharp clean edge where the hardware meets the finished tube but I have had nothing but problems with chipping when pressing in the fittings. I sand through half of the 9 colored micromesh pads then square up the ends(remove glue that has gone over the finished end) then do the other half of the colored micromesh pads. This gives a slight curve to the glue and I do not have the chippy edge that I was getting.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H7967...4S2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326387521&sr=8-3

Top Bottom