Finish durability

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I often hear claims how durable one finish is over another and really wonder how can we know if give or sell a pen to someone else. Here are two pictures of same spalted wood pen finished with Hut Crystal Coat completed back in 2004 and used daily at my desk. Pen looks better in person than photos. This is my go to pen ugly as it is!

About this time started using CA finish on some but not all pens. Have no idea how those pens faired in durability department. Other than fast and easy film finish, not real sure about durability.

Have no idea on durability of pens dipped in lacquer and polyurethane. Always use separate container and thin finish used for dipping. Have also used brush on lacquer and poly. Depending upon wood and look going for might or might not thin. Only down side to using lacquer & poly whether dipping, brushing, and wiping is time. Takes time to do properly!

I think durability of any film finish lies in hands of finisher and wood species. Everyone here should already understand about sheen fade back, wear off, and patina when using drying oils, oil blends, finish/oil/wax, blends and plain old wax.

Bottom line there is no one great film finish for every wood pen we make. Applying any clear film finish to wood about compromises!

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1226_5.JPG
    IMG_1226_5.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 165
Top Bottom