Finish for BOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StatProf

I need a few of you to chime in on the best finish for Bethlehem Olive Wood. I use Russ' CA/BLO finish on most of my pens because it just feels really good. I don't have a Beall buffing system, though. I use Russ' method because it feels so good, but I don't always get a real shiny finish and I want one this time. Will the CA/BLO do it on BOW? I don't like wasting this really good stuff from Nolan.

Thanks,
StatProf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
BLO has two basic uses:

1. it is a mild accelerator of CA.

2. accentuate the grain.

BOW is oily by itself. BLO and the oil in BOW tend to keep the CA from adhering well for some people. For that reason, I don't use BLO on the first two or three coats of CA on BOW. After a good base coat, in cooler weather, then I use some BLO to accelerate the CA.

CA makes a great shiny finish for BOW.

jttheclockman

If you scroll down a few posts I asked the same question and got some good answers.

Just to follow up on my findings. I have abandon the idea of using just Danish oil. Remains too tacky. I have used the Danish oil to highlight the grain a bit more. Than after it dried I wiped with acetone and then 3 to 4 coats of thin CA. Great highlights. Have to say I do like the CA finish. I apply with no BLO just 3 to 4 coats of thin CA and let it dry on its own. I found hitting with accelerator made tiny bumps. Can do away with those. Less sanding when polishing. Micromesh it and it is done.

Rudy Vey

If you scroll down a few posts I asked the same question and got some good answers.

Just to follow up on my findings. I have abandon the idea of using just Danish oil. Remains too tacky. I have used the Danish oil to highlight the grain a bit more. Than after it dried I wiped with acetone and then 3 to 4 coats of thin CA. Great highlights. Have to say I do like the CA finish. I apply with no BLO just 3 to 4 coats of thin CA and let it dry on its own. I found hitting with accelerator made tiny bumps. Can do away with those. Less sanding when polishing. Micromesh it and it is done.

JT, what accelerator did you use?? If you use the spray kind, it may happen. I use the aerosol accelerator and never had a problem with tiny bumps. I believe the liquid, spray-on accelerator has a variety of drop sizes and the bumps may come from a larger droplet of the accelerator on the CA surface.

george

BLO has two basic uses:

1. it is a mild accelerator of CA.

2. accentuate the grain.

BOW is oily by itself. BLO and the oil in BOW tend to keep the CA from adhering well for some people. For that reason, I don't use BLO on the first two or three coats of CA on BOW. After a good base coat, in cooler weather, then I use some BLO to accelerate the CA.

CA makes a great shiny finish for BOW.

Hank, do you get different look of the finish when you use just CA finish and when you use BLO after the 3rd coat ? That is, is BLO used only as an accelator or does it also give some "warm" feeling to the finish // showing the grain more powerful ? Thank you.

jttheclockman

JT, what accelerator did you use?? If you use the spray kind, it may happen. I use the aerosol accelerator and never had a problem with tiny bumps. I believe the liquid, spray-on accelerator has a variety of drop sizes and the bumps may come from a larger droplet of the accelerator on the CA surface.

I use the aerosol cans. I sprayed very lightly and a good 10 to 12 inches away with the lathe running. I have since started waiting for it to dry on its own and about 20 minutes good for the second coat. I have so much work to do that it means nothing waiting for it. It is in a green and white can. Can I get away with it, probably just need to hit with micromesh between each coat. Do not have to do that with it drying on its own. The more I use CA the more I see why people like it so much. It is a great finish. I wonder who ever came up with the idea of using CA glue as a finish????? Thjat person needs to be bought a beer or two.

jkeithrussell

I wonder who ever came up with the idea of using CA glue as a finish????? quote]

Don't know for sure, but it might be the same way that I first starting using it. I had a big knot hole in a piece of BOW that I filled in using CA and sanding dust. Once the hole was filled in, the area had a tremendous gloss. Still ranks as my best finish. After that, I started trying to do the CA finish and had terrible luck with it for a long time. I finally started having some success just when the weather turned cold. I'm sure I'll have to start all over again when it warms up.

Top Bottom