Finish for Berlian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StatProf

I traded some awesome blanks with Gary Peck. One of the blanks I got was Berlian (a type of Asian ironwood). I love it, but am having a little trouble with the finish. I used William's CA/BLO method and it is really clean, but there are just a couple of spots that are cloudy. I resanded and did the finish again and I still get the cloudiness in the same places. It looks like the wood is actually refracting the light differently in these couldy areas.

Any ideas?

StatProf

P.S. - William . . . I love your finishing technique. I have now done 3 pens and it is some of the best finishing work I have done. My only difference is that I wet sand to 12000 MM after 6 coats.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

On oily woods I will spray some accelerator on a piece of paper towel and wipe down the blank then give it a minute before putting on the CA finish. This has really helped on difficult to finish blanks like desert iron wood and cocobolo.

garypeck

those cloudy spots..... im wondering if they are CA or possibly dust from the sanding.....??? Before applying CA ...... i usually wipe with alcohol after which BLO than CA...... usually work for me......

Any chance of posting maybe a pic or 2 showing the "patches"??? Im sure the other Gurus here will be able to help......

StatProf

Gary,

I tried to take a pic, but I can't get the "haze" to appear on the photo. I am going to try and turn another and try wiping it down with denatured alcohol first.

On the upswing . . . I now have a really cool berlian pen for my personal use. I LOVE this wood. I got a bunch of comments at church this morning and a bunch of "can I have it" requests.

My deal is that I am always happy to give away a pen, but you have to come over and turn your own. My friend's wives are not too fond of this when their husbands come home with a list of new things they want to buy or their shop.

New lathe
Turning tools
ad infinitum!

Blessings,
Kyle

garypeck

ahhh ok ok ..... no alcohol..... theres something else which i use...some kinda spirit.... will that do??

Kyle.... if you need more Berlian..... do drop me a note.....

Regards,
Gary

Top Bottom