Fiddle Back Mahogany???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave C

Hi All,
I am making a European style fiddle back mahogany pen for a friend and would like to know what would make the fiddle back grain pop on it? BLO, Garnet Shellac or something else? Or, would these base finishes darken the wood to much and not enhance the grain.
Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Dave there are several ways to make the grain pop. What I do is do 2 or 3 coats of sealer and the either Enduro or CA. The more coats that you build up thebetter it will look.

Wayne

vick

I think you are talking about the figure not the grain. But to really make the grain pop you can use a walnut (or other dark color grain filler) on the blank.

Dave C

Originally posted by vick
<br />I think you are talking about the figure not the grain.
Yes that is what I was referring to. Sorry if I confused anyone with my question. I have never use fiddleback mahogany or for that matter really any highly figured wood before. I was wanting to know what to use to enhance the fiddle back figure.

Thanks,
Dave

wayneis

Thats exactly what I was refering to. Just putting on a good finish that builds up will make the grain pop and stand out on almost all of the wild grained woods. another thing that you can do is use some spirit stain, spirit stain will not completely darken the wood, only parts thereby letting the different parts of the grain show up better. After staining I again would build up a finish to give it the depth. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ok, Fred. What's this about talcum powder?
Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Anybody ever use a SMALL amount of PLAIN talcum powder in the first coat of sealer? Then sand all the way, and finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom