A few finishing questions (medium length)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

Okay I have a few questions before I delve back into pen making after my 2 month hiatus after being in Moscow.

1. Some of the wood I brought back is going to be stabilized. I've seen a few forms stating to us a BLO/CA finish if you wish. I want the wood to shine and have a good sturdy finish so would the finish in this thread:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43539

work for stabilized wood?

2. I am ordering some of Curtis' Pear Cactus Blanks and while I know he'll send some finishing instructions I would like to try it out on a few blanks that were cast before I mess up his blanks plus I don't want him to worry about getting on the forums until his Grandmother is better. So I've heard about wet sanding and I vaguely understand it. Can anyone point me towards a tutorial, video would be preferred as I learn better visually, that shows how to do this on acrylic/cast blanks?

3. The pens my wife and I did over Christmas were all sealed with a sanding sealer and then used a friction polish for the finish. As I understand it this is how most people teach finishes to start with as it is easy. I don't think this will be a very long lasting finish. Is there a way, after the pens have been assembled to ensure a long lasting finish such as the BLO/CA ones without having to try and take the pens apart?

That's pretty much it. I'm hoping my wife gives me permission...ooh wait here's a quick one. My wife and I are now expecting, awesome news and only slightly scary, has anyone heard of wood dust being bad for a pregnant woman? Would a filtered breathing mask be sufficient? We are going to ask the doctor but the military ones always are a little cautious. I ask because she wants to get back into it as well...okay so as I was saying I hope my wife gives me permission to go turn a few this weekend if not I'll have to take a few rope yarn days to try and get to the shop on base. Man I can't wait for my next station so I can have my own shop.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

CA will work on stabilized wood, casted wood, regular wood, punky wood, PR, acrylic, etc. Why you would use it on some of them I don't know. :biggrin:

I won't recommend wet sanding anything that has exposed organic part on it. Cactus blanks are casted but after you cut/turn it...you actually exposed the skeleton and as thin as they are...water will seep in. That may cause you grief later.

You will have to disassemble to refinish...sorry.

Congrats on the baby!

jyreene

CA will work on stabilized wood, casted wood, regular wood, punky wood, PR, acrylic, etc. Why you would use it on some of them I don't know. :biggrin:

I won't recommend wet sanding anything that has exposed organic part on it. Cactus blanks are casted but after you cut/turn it...you actually exposed the skeleton and as thin as they are...water will seep in. That may cause you grief later.

You will have to disassemble to refinish...sorry.

Congrats on the baby!

So would the CA finish look nice on a casted blank?

Thanks, we both are really excited.

jyreene

I would say in general I like the shine it gives off. I'm sure I'll come across one or two pieces in my future that just don't look good shiny, until then BLO/CA finish it is.

Top Bottom