Exoticblanks BAD batch of Accelerator...? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I have bought literally dozens of bottles of glue and accelerator, the 16oz ones, (regular not mild) of the brand ed sells and have never had an issue. I would imagine it is very cold in Germany, so maybe the CA is cold, or another brand and old.

I am sure Ed and Dawn will do what ever it takes to make it right.

aggromere is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 75

There are variations in CA formulations, so if your CA is a different brand, it may the the issue.

I once mixed brands of CA and accellerator, and it did not work nearly as well. I had to spray about 5 times more accellerator than I needed to when the brands matched. Its not exactly what you are seeing, but it convinced me that mixing brands of CA and Accellerator is probably not a good idea.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

Tim,
I reiterate what others have said. Give Ed a chance to respond by PM.
I, personally, haven't had any experience with any other brands of CA or accelerator except EZ Bond and have never had the problem you describe. Please post what brand of CA and the thickness (thin, medium or thick). That will help troubleshoot the problem.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I ran out of accelerator in my small spray bottle and grabbed the debonder mistakenly to refill my bottle and ended up with about the same result. I wish the labels were different colors. It is too easy to grab the wrong bottle. Like every has told you give Ed a chance to respond. He will make it right with you. And perhaps your PSI brand ca is at fault.

Northern Illinois

Last edited by livertrans; 01-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
livertrans is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ed/Dawn will take care of your issue, They are good people and stand behind what they sell.
By handling the issue throught PM first should be the way to go about the problem.
Not this way!!!
"Diplomatic" Business Minded, Goes a long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Plus they tend to rememberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Louie56
www.nature4pens.com
louie56 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 19

I will also say you didn't say how much time you gave him to respond. This was a holiday weekend here in the USA last weekend. Email can take some time and with filters and all that spam stuff not 100% reliable. I know Ed is VERY reliable there must be a reason for miscommunication.

Now as to the accelerator I think there are 2 types. I think there is a slower (Mild) and a faster not really sure I use the Standard accelerator. I have never had a problem I use it by the gallon. And the self life is long currently my gal. is going on over 2 years now. The color has darkened but it still functions just fine.

Now I have experienced the CA developing a white powder somewhat as you describe but this is due to application error. If you put the CA on real heavy and try to force it with the accelerator your asking for trouble. If you use to much accelerator (soak it down) your asking for trouble. Also I found that moisture will defiantly cause the white powder like if I try to speed up the cure by blowing on it the moisture from my breath will fog (White powder) the CA. So how high is the humidity there? Have you tried on another surface perhaps there is something in the material you are trying to finish. I would lean toward operator error.

You know accelerator applied directly to a cured CA surface will soften it and when it dries it will be white and powdery. You can also use accelerator as a CA debonder.

These are just my experiences and opinions.

Bruce

THE MAD RESIN MIXER
bruce119 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 11

While waiting for Ed/Dawn to fix their server or email or whatever the problem is...and for them to be incommudicado something must be wrong....

...just wondering, since I don't use excellerator on my CA finishes, does that work for most people..??..not that anything is right/wrong either way with/without...just wondering if I need to try something different..??
penhead is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ditto on Exotic Blanks customer service! They are the best! They will definitely make it right. I always order from them and will do so in the future. I know it is aggravating not hearing from them, but when site problems occur, it's not their fault. Also, I use Monty's ca consistently and have never had a problem.
renowb is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 190

I agree with Bruce! on this one, moisture will cloud your finish,

SUCH IS LIFE. Down Under.
johncrane is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Vendor Liaison

I've had white misting, clouding, etc. numerous times. I don't know what the reason is, but it's one of many variables....I don't know that the accelerator has much to do with it, personally...

Moisture content, amount of CA being 'flashed' and amount of accelerator used seem to the be the variables in my experience. If I spray a big puddle of CA with accelerator, it usually turns white.

That being said, send ed4copies (Exotic Blanks) a PM on this site, and he'll respond. His email is rather wonky on his website, I believe.

And please, let's not turn this into a twenty-page pile-on, ok?

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads