Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jusaf

I have a customer that wants me to make a pen (no problem) and then have it engraved. I can get that done but I don't know about putting a finish on it. Will there be problems putting CA on it after it is engraved? I've never dealt with engraving before.

Jim

ldb2000

I have a customer that wants me to make a pen (no problem) and then have it engraved. I can get that done but I don't know about putting a finish on it. Will there be problems putting CA on it after it is engraved? I've never dealt with engraving before.

Jim

Put your finish on before you send it for engraving . Depending on the type of wood you should get it colorfilled .
Ken http://www.penturners.org/links/showlink.php?l=4&catid=3 has done my engraving and he says to finish first then send it to him to engrave .

Sylvanite

You have (at least) two options:
1) Turn the pen to its final dimensions, sand, finish, assemble, and send the completed pen out for engraving. CA finish works well for this application.

2) Turn the pen barrel a little bit proud of the finial diameter. Send just the barrel out for engraving. Upon return, sand, finish, and assemble.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. What you want engraved may lead you to one or the other. I'd suggest you pick someone to do the engraving for you, and discuss with them what works best for your particular cirucmstance. There are several penturners here who do custom engraving (myself included), or you may want to develop a relationship with a local trophy shop.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom