EnduroVar for Wood Pen Bodies?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

There was a very interesting discussion started on this board 2-20-15 comparing EnduroVar (EV) and WoodTurner's Finish (WTF) on wood pen bodies as alternatives to CA. Has anyone worked with EV since then and if so would you share technique and results?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Don, if you dig a bit further back the products was just Enduro and it was clear acrylic made by Convergent Technolologies. A pen turner with the handle Wayneis used a dip technique and swore by it. Wayne was having kidney trouble last we exchanged messages and he dropped from sight.

General Finishes bought out Enduro and later added the enduro-Var as an amber tinted version.

I have the GF Enduro and use it on occasion. It results in a durable, hard clear film finish. It is one that takes a bit longer but provides a classy finish.

Enduro is thicker, more viscus, and lays down a thicker film than the apparently thinned woodturners finish. The woodturners finish as a bit of amber tint to my eye also.

Another "dipper" is Les Elm in Alberta. Have not tried Les's process with Enduro yet, but anticipate it will improve on Wayne's process.

donstephan

Picked up a pint can of EnduroVar (EV) gloss to experiment on some solids, first a birch 7/16" dowel rod and then walnut and cherry rods I turned to about 1/2" diameter, all about 5" long.

Sanded all to 400 grit. Folded a piece of Bounty paper towel as I've seen in CA finishing videos. Putting enough EV on the paper towel that when I start moving the paper towel side to side I can see "waves" of EV for about 5-8 seconds, the surface of the wood looks wet for about 15 seconds.

All this is being done at 300 RPM, I am moving the paper towel back and forth for 30 seconds with just light pressure against the wood.

For the birch dowels, after 30 seconds with the paper towel against the wood the lathe continued to run for 2 minutes at 300 RPM so the EV could become dry to the touch, then another coat of EV for 30 seconds and so on for a total of 4 coats on one birch dowel and 6 coats on two others and left alone overnight. Felt very smooth the next day, very light sanding with 400 grit at 300 RPM removed all the shiny spots. Applied another 6 to 10 coats yesterday. For one of the birch rods, after applying a wet coat for 30 seconds at 300 RPM I ran the lathe at 1000 RPM for 60 seconds. Couldn't tell any difference in the three birch dowels other than the shorter dry time.

On the walnut and cherry rods I made yesterday, I applied each wet coat the same way but dried each coat by running the lathe at 1000 RPM for 60 seconds. Total of 4 coats on some, 6 coats on others.

Hope to take a look at the results today. I was very pleased with the smoothness of the dried results yesterday and the build. Prior experience with spraying EV on furniture was very positive.

eharri446

As I keep seeing in these forums, if there are no pictures then it did not happen:)

Would you please add some pictures of your experiments. I am trying to do something similar with lacquer and would like to see what you were able to accomplish.

donstephan

I'm not sure what a picture would add, as I won't have anything to compare the EV finish to (CA, wax, et cetera). And I find it cumbersome to take a picture with my 15 year old digital camera, plug it into my laptop, process with GIMP and save to the computer, and finally include in a post. There has to be a value achieved for the time spent. Just my two cents.

Yesterday's first coats on cherry and walnut are rougher than the birch were, reminding me I should have thought to raise the grain with distilled water and lightly sand before beginning the EV. Hoping my first "pens" order arrives tomorrow with the acrylic sanding pads, so I can evaluate the smoothness of the finish by starting with higher grits and see how much sanding is needed to remove shiny (i.e. uneven) ridges and spots.

I'm used to seeing lacy ray fleck patterns on turned cherry and hard maple rounds and eggs, but yesterday's walnut rounds with EV are the first time I've noticed similar lacy ray fleck in black walnut. That was a treat.

My reasons to try the EV are the fumes associated with cyanoacrylate (CA), my concern about getting some CA on my skin, and my personal dislike of thick brittle finishes.

donstephan

Mt sincere apologies for the confusion. Just checked on the Internet and I think the formal name of the product is Enduro-Var, made by General Finishes. I was using "EV" simply as an abbreviation of the name to save keystrokes.

I was able to purchase a pint over the counter at the local Woodcraft store, and Rockler stores may carry it in their inventory. It looks to be available mail order from one or more additional sources.

donstephan

More experimenting has been completed, time to share results.

The product label makes clear that "drying" is different from "curing." May not have been necessary, but I waited at least 36 hours after applying anywhere from 2 to 10 coats before sanding, and the dried finish sanded easily.

On black walnut had to start with light green 800 Micro Mesh (MM) to get level surface. There were some scratches from the light green that were very deep, perhaps because the finish was not yet cured.

On cherry, was able to start with orange 1500 MM and move quickly through gray 12000 MM because the cherry grain was much tighter than the walnut.

Four to six coats the first day seemed to work well, with eight to ten two days later, but that was without raising the grain before starting. Hopefully I will remember to raise the grain with distilled water next time.

After 12000 gray MM the finish is very uniform, but I don't feel capable of identifying whether it is high gloss. Regardless of what it is, the finish likely will have a higher gloss after the finish is fully cured, which might take up to 7 days.

For a comparison I applied a friction polish mix (dewaxed shellac and a bit of linseed oil) on a couple small diameter rods of America Elm. I'm not a finish expert but I think the EnduroVar clarity is pretty close to the friction polish, but again the EnduroVar likely will polish up a bit better after about a week to cure.

May not be even next week, but I am looking forward to making a first few pen blanks and trying to learn how best to apply EnduroVar to seal the end grain, build thickness on the sides of the pen blanks without excessive build on the ends, and how it responds to the various grits of Micro Mesh after a week to cure.

I don't expect EnduroVar to be as fast/convenient as cyanoacrylate looks on videos, but I think it will be a more than adequate alternative without the fumes, risk of chipping in use, et cetera.

KenV

Using Enduro (without the amber tint) it took about 10-14 days to get cure. Roughly about the same as lacquer. Try to buff it out too soon, and a gummy mess results (as it does with uncured lacquer).

Good hard durable finish -- just takes a bit longer to get there.

Top Bottom