End Grain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

After I put my finish on a pen, either CA or stain, wax, polish and I remove it from the mandrel and guides, is there a particular way to seal the end grain to prevent moisture wicking? I didn't know what to put on that wont effect the fit of parts when pressed together.

Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David M

I use ca, but it is before it is mounted and turned, after the pen mill I apply the ca. if it soaks it up i do a second coat, then lightly hit it with the mill / check for high spots . just dont let it get inside the tubes , if it does hit it with activator and most of the time it will snap off , or scrap with a thin blad knife.

azamiryou

+1 on CA before turning, if I'm going to use a CA finish. For other finishes, I figure enough gets on the ends during finishing (I turn between centers without bushings) to seal it up, but since I wet-sand CA, I want to be absolutely sure no water gets in the ends during sanding.

I use a sanding mill to square up the ends, then to even them up again after sealing the ends, then to even them up again before assembly. "Squaring up" I do with the sanding mill mounted in the lathe and powered; "evening up" I do holding the sanding mill in my hand.

jcm71

+1 on David's suggestion to apply the thin CA before you turn. The only problem I had with thin CA is that I wasted too much. I now use nail hardener, as suggested by another member here. Much easier to apply, less waste, and so far no problems with wicking.

Jim Burr

Banned
+1 on David's suggestion to apply the thin CA before you turn. The only problem I had with thin CA is that I wasted too much. I now use nail hardener, as suggested by another member here. Much easier to apply, less waste, and so far no problems with wicking.

+1 on CA...but jujst a drop!!! Swirl it around and let it dry. One more shot with the mill to make it all flush and there ya go! YMMV

panamag8or

I use a drop or two of thin CA on a paper towel after they come off the lathe. The towel soaks up the CA, leaving just enough on the surface to dab the ends and seal them, without it getting all over the place.

TerryDowning

I find that "overflow" from gluing in the tubes is sufficient to seal the end grain. Perhaps I'm wrong but I've never had a problem. Remember, much of the wood will be turned away, you only need to seal enough where the hardware will cover.

Top Bottom