EEE Ultra Shine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

richmerc

Greetings,
I've been turning pens for a few years now, wood and acrylic. I've decided to try EEE Ultra Shine (first time) for my latest project, a Koa wood handle for a bottle opener. I have the handle turned and sanded down to 320 grit paper and would like to know if I should continue sanding with micro mesh pads (they range from 1,500 to 12,000) or stop at 320 grit. Also, would you recommend me using a sanding sealer before using EEE? The plan is to use Shellawax as a final step in finishing the handle. The directions for using EEE and Shellawax are smudged up and unreadable on both containers so many thanks in advance for any advice in getting me started with those products. Cheers!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Here is the link for instructions from the shellawax manufacturer: SHELLAWAX friction polish

As for EEE, I learned from other more experienced folks that it is actually Tripoli powder for the abrasive (clever name...). My quick research suggests the grit equivalent is between 1000 and 3000, my experience with EEE matches up with this. So the first few MM pads might be useful, but not beyond that. Personally, I would say that 800 is plenty good, then EEE, then shellawax (I've done 4 to 6 thin coats of shellawax with pretty good results).

I go to 400 grit then use the first two MM pads - 1500 & 1800 - before using a tripoli abrasive paste. For wood I use a sealer before the paste.

Last edited:

JP1337

Greetings,
I have the handle turned and sanded down to 320 grit paper

I would strongly recommend sanding to at least 600, and I will assume you have a good sanding technique so you're not leaving behind sanding marks.
EEE will not remove sanding scratches from 320 grit paper.

Also with Shellawax, make sure you do not touch the finish after it is applied for at least a month, or the shine will wipe right off. Takes a month for the finish to fully cure.

Top Bottom