Ebonite threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Heaton

I've turned and finished several black ebonite kitless fountain pens. However, I have left the cap/barrel threads as they were cut. I would like to give them a more "finished" appearance. I've tried polishes with tooth brushes, towels and buffing, without success. Anyone have suggestions that I can try?

And thanks to this site and all the participants from who I have learned from this enjoyable but costly hobby...:embarrassed:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jim, ignore the know-it-all :wink:

There are several tricks for getting nice clean threads in all sorts of materials.

1. Make sure your diameter that you intend to thread is no bigger than that recommended for the thread. Slightly smaller often works best.
2. Play around with lubricants till you find one that works for you. Some use Pam oil ( i think that's a USA cooking oil? ) others use soapy water, or WD40 etc.
3. Perhaps the biggest effect on thread appearance is the method of threading.
If the diameter is good, then don't be tempted to constantly back off the die.
I find that that methods damages more threads than just going for it.

The adjustment screw, if your die has one, can be set to make minute adjustments to the depth of the cut. If your die is split, and doesn't have a screw, then you can make these tiny adjustments with the die holder.
If your threads feel very tight, then just squeeze down on the die a tiny bit and run the die over it again. But always start 'un-squeezed' if you know what I mean. This adjustment wont have any effect over the finish of the threads. :wink:

Last edited:

carlmorrell

Not sure of the quality of your tap/dies. I once bought a cheap set, and was not happy with the results. Wish I had taken photos to show the difference in the threads.

Jim Heaton

Thanks for the replies! I'm happy with the quality of the thread relating to shape and fit. I use Victor Machinery M12X.75 single start for cap to barrel and M10x1.0 single start for section/barrel. I'm satisfied with the shape and fit of the threads, it's that they are not "pretty". To me it takes away from the bright finish of the black ebonite barrel and cap once polished to a high sheen.

Brooks803

Are you polishing your tenon BEFORE cutting the threads? If not you'll want to start. Polish like you would the finished pen. I use 3 in 1 oil to cut my threads and it leaves a nice look when done.

Top Bottom