Dying Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassman00

I have a bunch of curly maple blanks and I'm considering dying some to get some different color variations. My initial thought was to turn the blanks down to size and apply the dye just before final finishing. Is that the best way? Any other ways? I won't be stabilizing these blanks, just want to add color.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Paul, that is how I would do it. Check this link out to some Chesnut spirit stains I had some good luck with it. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3240

Anthony

Fred in NC

I think it has been mentioned before: A light sanding after the dye is applied will increase the contrast, because it will take some dye off from the hardest part of the grain.

woodscavenger

OK STOP! There are getting to be too many new ideas for me! I am starting to get agitated that I can't try them all and that I will forget some of these great ideas.

Gary

We may have to lock Anthony is a closet for time while the rest of us catch up. He's introducing ideas at a pretty rapid pace.

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />OK STOP! There are getting to be too many new ideas for me! I am starting to get agitated that I can't try them all and that I will forget some of these great ideas.

bassman00

Thanks guys. I'll do it that way then. Anthony, your thread on the Chestnut Spirit Stains as what got me thinking about it. Those were refins so I wasn't sure if you did the new turnings like that too.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom