Dyed pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

That's a really nice looking pen, Jack. Great work! Just a suggestion, but next time how about reducing the picture size. That one is 800 pixels wide and makes it necessary to scroll left to right to read all the messages.

Originally posted by jdavis
<br />
Originally posted by jimr
<br />I showed a pic of a pen I dyed red on the turning page last week. It turned out better than I had expected. So, I thought using a holly blank would be even better since it is almost white. Well, I was disappointed. It did not dye as evenly as the bland spalted maple one in last weeks picture. The uneven color is more pronounced than it shows in this pic and the color is not as vivid. I think that is because the wood is so white it makes the color a bit pale. I was trying for a patriotic theme and the fittings are really whiter than they look in the pic. I wonder it a light coat of sealer prior to the dye would help even out the color. I also thought about trying to mask off a section of the holly from the dyed areas and using that as the white. Holly is as white a wood as I know of and I really thought it would dye better.
any suggestions?
Your pen looks fine. As a woodshop teacher, try sanding sealer before applying the dye. This will even the dye. Keep turning.
2005221311_pen.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom