Do you put a dull finish on a camo blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I'm going to try my second attempt on my first acrylic pen,making a bolt action pen w/a camo blank.My first try got a tiny crack in it,and I didn't paint the tube black so in the light,you can see glimmers of brass.

So that I need to correct on my 2nd try.

I was wondering if I should make the blank shiny,or if I put a dull finish on it?

How do you all do it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

its up to u what you like,but Camo looks ok in a non gloss finish,what i do is first finish the blank as normal to remove scratches,then take the shine off using very fine steel wool and BLO , rub the blank length ways with the lathe off im sure others will have other ways

Joe Burns

Its personal preference. I did a 5.56 bullet pen with a camo top. I wanted mine shiny. I wet sanded with micro-mesh to 12000. Then used Hut plastic polish and finished by buffing on a two wheel system.

Joe

brownsfn2

I just made one last night. Painted the the inside of the blank black first and then used Novus 3 and 2 and then buffed. I think having it shiny goes nicer with the kit since the bullet kit is shiny. Just my preference though. There is no wrong way. Have fun!

BSea

I make some wooden pens with a satin/semi gloss finish. I finish as usual with MM, then go back to the maroon pad, or maybe the tan pad depending on what I think looks best. I've never used steel wool because I heard it catches really easily.

its up to u what you like,but Camo looks ok in a non gloss finish,what i do is first finish the blank as normal to remove scratches,then take the shine off using very fine steel wool and BLO , rub the blank length ways with the lathe off im sure others will have other ways
Why BLO? Just curious.:confused:

Top Bottom