DNA vs Isopropyl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ordinary rubbing alcohol has a high water content - about 30% I believe. Generally not good for cleaning wood blanks as a finishing prep or sanding dust cleaner.

DNA is generally only about 3% water. I buy it by the gallon & keep the can sealed except when refilling my squeeze bottles to keep it from absorbing water. I also keep my squeeze bottles capped except when squirting some DNA onto a paper towel.

its_virgil

Alcohol attracts moisture...moisture in the air readily dissolves into alcohol of either kind. As soon as the lid is removed water enters. I do not use alcohol on any turned items. Lacquer thinner or acetone are my choice...they evaporate very quickly. One method of drying wood is to submerge the wood in a container of alcohol and water moves from the wood into the alcohol...at least that is what I understand about the process. I'm sure (and it is OK) I will be corrected if wrong.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Ordinary rubbing alcohol has a high water content - about 30% I believe. Generally not good for cleaning wood blanks as a finishing prep or sanding dust cleaner.

DNA is generally only about 3% water. I buy it by the gallon & keep the can sealed except when refilling my squeeze bottles to keep it from absorbing water. I also keep my squeeze bottles capped except when squirting some DNA onto a paper towel.

low_48

Alcohol attracts moisture...moisture in the air readily dissolves into alcohol of either kind. As soon as the lid is removed water enters. I do not use alcohol on any turned items. Lacquer thinner or acetone are my choice...they evaporate very quickly. One method of drying wood is to submerge the wood in a container of alcohol and water moves from the wood into the alcohol...at least that is what I understand about the process. I'm sure (and it is OK) I will be corrected if wrong.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

No kidding, gin always attracts tonic at my house!

bigcountry11

You can buy 95% iso and it works great for cleaning. I like to buy it in small bottles as its hydroscopic and can be diluted quickly over time.

KenV

Don Ward is right on target. Cheap DNA from the big box stores is well known for having lots of water in the can. The much more expensive container from a paint specialty store will have a stated maximum water content and will be suitable for shellac flakes. I know a shellac purist or two who get 190 proof everclear for mixing shellac.

Rick_G

I get my isopropyl at a farm supply place and it is marked 99%. That's probably accurate until it is opened. DNA is really hard to get in Canada for some reason so I use the isopropyl with no problems in place of DNA.

Marmotjr

Out of curiosity, what about HEET fuel line de-icer? It's about a buck or two at the gas station, and is >99% methanol. Since it's main use is water remover, I would guess it would have similar properties. I only ask because it is very common to use HEET in alcohol based backpacking stoves, and we'd used to save a bundle buying this over the 'brand name' stove fuel.

http://dogflying.com/iaf/MSDS/MSDS Heet Yellow Bottle.pdf

Top Bottom