Dipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenchicken

Yesterday I received my can of "Hi-Gloss Wood Finish" from pen state and immediately ran to my shop for some quick test (picture attached).

First Reaction: I am 90% sure this is the same product as the Gasket-Lacquer I use for arrow making. Which, BTW originated as a finish for #2 school pencils.

First Test: I turned two quick tube and then sanded them with only 150 then 220 paper and then dipped away. Shaking them vigorously (like you would a mercury thermometer) to get every last drop of excess off.

First Comment: Even in Dry Warm So California a 20 minute advertised dry time is a joke. After two hour they where completely dry. They looked good but I decided to do a second dip and then go to bed.

The next day. Very impressed, especially for the bottle stoppers. Some very minor build up on the end on one of them, guess I did not shake it hard enough.

FINAL OPINION:

I could not imagine using this on my hi-end pens which I easily spend 30 minutes polishing. But for my simple slim-line and other $20 something pens this will be a perfect solution.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

Thanks for the review. I may pick up some of this.
About 20 years ago I was stationed at Port Hueneme. That was a pretty nice place.

Wildman

I use Deft brushing lacquer for dipping pen blanks and other small items and happy with results. I use a separate lacquer filled container for dipping, and usually wait a day or two before re-dipping. Normally stop at three dips, occasionally four or five dips depending upon wood. Always put blanks back on lathe to wet polish with micromesh.

Dipping is a simple but messy process. Prefer to let excess finish flow off instead of shaking it off. Use small artist brush dipped in finish to wipe off excess lacquer at bottom. Just feel get a better build up of finish on whatever am dipping. Another reason do not mind waiting a day or two before re-dipping.

Some folk using lacquer or shellac might disagree with what am saying because each coat is supposed to meld with one below it. Yes, have had stuff dry to the touch after couple of hours, still prefer to wait a day or two.

Have also used oil polyurethane for dipping and would like to try water based poly after seeing a fellow that dipped his blanks in General water based finish here.

rudya7

I've found that the secret to getting a really smooth finish with the dipping laquer is to apply one coat of medium CA to the pen blanks first, sand to 600 and then dip. It results in a good looking finish that is really durable over a long time.

Top Bottom