decal paper and CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Math2010

Hello,

I tried (it's not a penblank, I took some pine just to make a try and don't scrap a pen kit...) to make a CA glue finish and a decal paper (first time for both).
Here's what I did:
1) Sanding up to 600 grid.
2) Apply the decal paper
3) 3 coats of thin CA
4) 3 coats of medium CA
5) Micromesh + plastiX finish.

The finish is super cool ( I think for the first time), BUT it's a bit white where I put the decal paper. Is it because of the paper itself, or because I applied it directly on the unfinished wood? Or Something else?

Thank you!

Mathieu

Attachments

• 20170609_185311_resized.jpg
    20170609_185311_resized.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 382
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

Hello,

I tried (it's not a penblank, I took some pine just to make a try and don't scrap a pen kit...) to make a CA glue finish and a decal paper (first time for both).
Here's what I did:
1) Sanding up to 600 grid.
2) Apply the decal paper
3) 3 coats of thin CA
4) 3 coats of medium CA
5) Micromesh + plastiX finish.

The finish is super cool ( I think for the first time), BUT it's a bit white where I put the decal paper. Is it because of the paper itself, or because I applied it directly on the unfinished wood? Or Something else?

Thank you!

Mathieu
You need to apply a couple of thin layers of CA polished before applying the decal then you won't see the edge or the white background

larryc

I will be demonstrating this tomorrow at the Georgia IAP Chapter but I don't i,agine you can make it.

This is what I do:

DECAL STEPS
I print decals using my inkjet printer and let the decal set overnight. Then I spray two coats of clear Krylon and let it set overnight between each coat. Then I apply the decal to the blank that has about 6 coats of CA which has sat overnight then sanded and polished up to 12000. After applying the decal it sits overnight and then about 6 more more coats of CA which sit overnight and then sanded and polished up to 12000 and Beale buffed.

ajhjen

I have tried to do the nail art on a pen with no good results. I used ca on the blank first. When I put the CA glue on top of the decal to seal it in it smeared the image. I tried it again and this time i sprayed the decal with clear acrylic. It helped somewhat but the decal smeared and softened up again. Am I missing a step? I will try your method this week and see what happens.

LL Woodworks

Totally agree with larryc - spray printed decal with Krylon clear, allow plenty of time to dry then apply to a blank or surface that has been sealed. (I apply 1 or 2 coats of this CA to my blanks before I apply the decal.) Good Luck

Top Bottom