Decal Help - Round Two

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Well I successfully got the decals on. I do have to replace two of them but I think I got it down! But now the next question: Are you able to see the decal once you have finished with the CA? I put 4 coats thin CA and 10 coats med CA over the decal. Sanded, polished waxed and I can see the decal when I turn the pen in the light. Is this normal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

Your problem is the wood under the decal is not shiny. First put on about 4 coats of CA and sand and polish it to 12000 . Then apply the decal. By not prefinishing the wood some decal edges will be more apparent than others this is especially true if the wood is dark such as walnut.

DotDoc

You have to CA your blank prior to putting your decal on. As though you were just doing one without decal. 3 or 4 coats of thin CA and then apply your decal.

keithbyrd

Your problem is the wood under the decal is not shiny. First put on about 4 coats of CA and sand and polish it to 12000 . Then apply the decal. By not prefinishing the wood some decal edges will be more apparent than others this is especially true if the wood is dark such as walnut.

I put 5 coats of thin CA, sanded to 600, MM to 12000 then put the decals on. The question is should you be able to see the decals at all? In the correct light at the right angle? I can see them at the right angle with good light. Is this normal or is there someting else I should do. I am putting the decals on curly maple.

wouldentu2?

I looked at 5 decal pens I use at home that I created the decal for and I am not able to tell there is a decal edge.

Several others that use decals purchased show if I allowed dirt to get attached at the adhesive edge. Hence they are mine. Still gorgeous just won't surrender it.

Possibly, you are not applying a thick enough coat of CA initially before applying the CA, and there by sanding thru, I know I would not be able to only apply 5 coats of thin CA and sand thru to 12000 MM.
I apply 4 coats of medium or thick depending what I have.

Bowl Slinger

Keith, Can you post a picture clear enough for us to see the edges? Are you using a water slide decal? I use the water slides and I trim the edges as close to the color/lines as possible even in the middle. Does the edges of the decal look like it has tiny little air bubbles under it?

Top Bottom