Cracked antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Davidh14

A customer purchased a bolt action pen with moose antler from me about 6 months ago. Today I spoke with her and she noticed it was cracked. Any ideas as to why it could have cracked?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Likely problem is that it was not dry when you turned it. Antler is a natural product and therefore should be dried for a period of time.

Leaving in the sun will also causes antler pens to crack by speeding the moisture reduction.

SteveG

I agree with above stated reasons, and will add that the blank failure may have been aggravated by glue contamination inside the tube, causing added stress to the blank/tube assembly when the hardware was pressed in.

Often time when a failure occurs (in pen making or any endeavor), it is the result of multiple factors, in effect "ganging up" to cause the failure. So, when you experience a problem, it is good to not stop looking for the cause once you discover A SINGLE POSSIBLE CAUSE. Keep looking to see if additional factors had come into play. Then you can correct for all in future efforts.

farmer

antler cracking

Antler wasn't properly dried ....

Didn't soak the antler in wood hardener .

Top Bottom