Crack Filling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I have found that some woods I use for pen barrels, wenge and cocobolo for example, develop (or have always had) small cracks along the grain after I have sanded them. In the past I’ve just put on the finish and let it go at that. But I’ve been wondering if there is a way to fill in the cracks without ruining the look of the grain. I have not tried ‘sanding sealer’ or any sort of fix; I thought I’d poll this forum before I started experimenting.

What do others do to prepare the woods with these small cracks for finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Tom the two ways that I have had success are first using sanding sealer. It works well and it dries clear so you end up enhancing the grain.

The next is to use CA, just sand and when you get it close do not wipe the dust off. Drip some CA on the blank and sand the slurry in and it will fill the cracks. That works pretty good as long as your grain color is pretty consistent.

Personally sanding sealer is usually my choise but there are times where I just feel that CA would be the better option and I go for it. You just to start using them both and soon you will know which to use when.

And using both methods will end up giving you a much smoother feel, especially on the more poreous woods, and to top it off you will end up with more depth in your finish. 99% of my pens are done using several coats of both sanding sealer and the Enduro poly.

Wayne

G

On some porous woods I wet sand with BLO and don't wipe off between grits.
continue to wet sand length wise with the first 4 grits of MM

Wet sand with MM and go all the way to the last "grit" #9.
This will leave the blanks smooth and shiny.
When I did this I used a CA finish.

KKingery

I am a firm believer in the sanding sealer - I never used it at first, but it definately helps with the cracks, and also helps with the final look when all things are said & done.

Gregory Huey

I have used sand and sealer with fair to good results. But after learning how to apply BLO/CA I am getting very good grain fill and the finsh looks great. I have not tried the Enduro method yet but hear high praises for it and the photos I have seen look A+++.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom