Corroded pen problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

I've used a very nice Wallstreet II black titanium/gold pen kit more than a 20 times but 3 times the gold has corroded after just a week or two on the nib and clip. The vendor replaces it with no problem, but I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. Each time the pen was not being used but stored in a case with the rest of my pens (which are all fine). Any ideas?:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Did you use a CA finish on the pen? Russ Fairfield said that a CA finish continues to "off-gas" for an extended period of time, when one would think it was completely inert. He said that the vapors were strong enough to take the gold off of his fountain pen nibs. When I noticed that this pen is being stored in a case, I just remembered what Russ had said.

I hope this helps.

rossvh

Interesting. Yes, I use a CA finish, but I wonder why it doesn't happen to any other pen in my case? Thanks for you thoughts. You're probably right so I'll take the proper precautions.
Rossvh

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm assuming it's black titanium and gold titanium, rather than a gold plating.

Titanium nitride (aka gold titanium) should not be corroding that quickly. It coats all of my drill bits, and they're abused very heavily...

So if it's chalky white, it's likely an off-gassing issue which should buff out...

Jim Burr

Banned
Did you use a CA finish on the pen? Russ Fairfield said that a CA finish continues to "off-gas" for an extended period of time, when one would think it was completely inert. He said that the vapors were strong enough to take the gold off of his fountain pen nibs. When I noticed that this pen is being stored in a case, I just remembered what Russ had said.

I hope this helps.

CA is far from inert!!! It has a very violent and caustic exothermic reaction that can and will damage your respiratory system. Les Elm does a great tutorial on WOP finish if you're looking for something less caustic

Robert111

I've seen others on the IAP refer this phenomenon but I've never personally seen it--and god knows I've done enought CA finishes.

I've always used thin CA though, and maybe that off-gasses quicker--maybe instantly, in fact. I know the layers are much thinner than those made by the medium CA.

Top Bottom