Corian Finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by Gregory Huey
<br />I sand all the the way out with MM and then apply A coat of TSW.
Just my 2 pennys.

I agree.

Wetsand with Micro Mesh and then apply wax if you choose to.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I am sure you will get many good answers on this, but this is what I use and it seems to work pretty well:

After MM, polish with HutPenPolish:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&searchstart=30&keywords=polish

Also, there are micromesh pads made specifically for plastics. They are the ones that are different colored little pads. I got mine at Woodcraft.

dougle40

I agree with Tip , I use Turners polish and it seems to hold up well . I just recently tried it on a brass cartridge and it seems to be working there as well .

JimGo

Check http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3509 Alice posted some great instructions on gluing and finishing.

elody21

Originally posted by Sawdustier
<br />I've just been give some corian scraps and wanted to try a couple of pens out of it. What is the procedure for working with this, mainly the finishing part?
If turning Corian or other acrylic solid surface you can get away with using as heavy as 150 grit sand paper. This is handy if you just cannot get the ripples out of your piece. Then use 220 and then I use 400. I use Novus #2 fine scratch polish and that is all you really need. If you want to you can use the series of micro mesh. When using MM on plastics I prefer to use it wet. Use Novus polish after the MM

There are some types of solid surface that is polyester such as certain styles of Avonite
You can sometimes (but not always ) tell this from the acrylic solid surface (like Corian) because the polyster is usually partially transparent.
In this case never go any heavier than 220 and Micro Mesh is the best way to go.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom