Coffee blanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Im about to have a go at my first coffee bean blank but Im not sure about the sanding and finishing process..
My usual method with acrylic/resin is to wet sand to 12000mm and then finish with Autosol cream/paste and T-cut liquid.
Can I follow the same procedure with a coffee blank or will the beans turn to mush?

Ive also got a couple of shredded money blanks so I guess the same question applies.
Thanks for the help.
regards, Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Although it may not be necessary with the money blanks, I seal both with a coat of thin CA to seal the inside of the bean that was not penetrated by the resin. Then a ligt sanding with 400 paper to smooth if needed, followed by MM and antiswirl compound.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I agree to seal with CA on the inside and in case you weren't aware of it, you should probably paint the inside of the tube - cream colored if you are using that as the resin color or black if you are using clear resin and beans. It also is wise to paint the tubes the same color. Be sure to let the paint cure before adding the glue and tubes.

I seal mine on the ends and finish with CA. Be careful and takes small bites with a sharp blade or you can lift a few beans out.

Any time you have porous filler added to PR, it is good to treat it like a wood blank and CA or add other finish just like on wood.

Last edited:

talbot

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I'll remember to paint the tube and the blank.
As I mentioned , My usual method is to wet sand, can I do this with the coffee bean blanks or must they be dry sanded?
Regards, Bill

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I'll remember to paint the tube and the blank.
As I mentioned , My usual method is to wet sand, can I do this with the coffee bean blanks or must they be dry sanded?
Regards, Bill

Bill,

I personally would not wet sand coffee beans as the beans will absorb some of the moisture which can easily cause cloudy finishes. Dry sand and wipe off would be best. This is what I do.

Input from others? Please add your experience.

Top Bottom