Coco dust...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I had forgotten what troubles I had with some of the darker woods when making pens...cocobolo actually in this case...

..turn it, clean it with denatured alcohol between each sanding grit...used buffing wheels...it looks great - except that is, for all that real fine powedery dust that gets down in the pores....

...what does one use to get rid of that...please...

Johnpayton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

I've had that problem when I didn't get it completely sealed. Also, I've found it helps to blow it off with compressed air between each sanding grit. I have a P-C pancake compressor that sits beside my lathe bench for that purpose.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Yes, I used Mylands cellulose sanding sealer....think maybe i didn't get it sealed good..?

..its sanding dust, i just know it is...real light color...

...and is there a way to fix it now...??

Thanks all,
JohnPayton

KKingery

I've always used sanding sealer on Cocobolo, and have had great results. In fact, after sanding, before going on to the next grit, I usually wipe the blanks, then seal between each grit.

dougle40

Funny , I love turning Cocobolo but never wipe it down with anything but my hand after each paper change and can't recall having any of those problems . I do use a friction polish but no sealer at all .

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm betting it's the sealer since you say it is real light dust. Use a shop vac and if need be, sand down past the sanding sealer. How fine a grit sandpaper did you finish with. For the most part cocobolo should need much "taming". FYI, you really don't need to seal cocobolo. It will have oil coming to the surface for years, even as thin as we turn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom