Cleaninging micro-mesh

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

foamcapt40

I have a set of the micro-mesh pads and the instructions say they can be washed and reused many times. But they don't say how to clean or wash them. What am I missing!?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

Someone along the way said you could wash them in the kitchen sink with a drop of dishwashing liquid - I've done that and run them through the washer in jeans pockets - both worked. In the lessons learned category, after I washed them in the sink I laid them out on a formica countertop to dry, unwisely without a towel under them. Next morning I had 8 or 10 (however many there are) little rectangle stains on the countertop. Thought I was dead meat after trying 4 or 5 cleaners and nothing would get the stain out - finally used bleach and was able to relax. I'm sure you get the moral of the story...

GouletPens

Wash them? Heck I just blow them out with compressed air. I use that little rubber tip on the air gun that concentrates the air and it rocks my world. I guess I could try washing them but I never saw the point since I would get them just as dirty THE SECOND I touched them to my next blank. Seriously, keep an air hose by the lathe, and blow it out after every 30 seconds of use and that will optimize the MM's effectiveness and never need washing.

kruzzer

I've cleaned mine a couple of times by putting them in a plastic container, a drop of dishwashing liquid, warm water. Put the lid on and shake the H### out of them. rinse then lay out on a couple of paper towels.. Seems to do a good job. I also just blow them off during use with a blast from the air hose...

bradh

Just wipe them on your jeans while sanding. I keep a patch of denim cloth at the lathe for the times I don't have old jeans on.
When they get gummed up, a wash in dish soap and water works well. Inside a bag in the washing machine will provide a deep cleaning, just be sure they don't end up in the dryer too.

Dvoigt

Is all micro-mesh cleaning the same? I just bought some with a padded pack from Wood Turningz but see a few different kinds out there.

Top Bottom