Cleaning before finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigcountry11

While making longbows I and most before a glueup with oily wood will take acetone or denatured alcohol and wipe over and over again until no color comes off. Especially with osage, cocobolo, IPE, etc. Some bowyers will do the same before coating with CA.

Tried it the other night and a coco pen turned out nice, but I wonder if its necessary. Any opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

In my experience over years, the cleaning using solvent is a necessary step on many woods. If it is known to be oily wood, do it. If not sure, do it. If, by experience, you know it to be unnecessary, then the wood is exempt, (but it does not hurt to do it). Some type of cleaning is routinely necessary all the time, and solvent works. A blast of compressed air is quite beneficial.

bigcountry11

Thanks guys. I know if you do not wipe down like IPE going to bamboo in bow making, the oils will not let the two pieces bond well, and you could have an explosion at full draw.

I will continue on doing a good wipe down. I have finished several pens with no solvent wipedown out of cocobolo, and bocote, with no issues, but I will see how they hold up over the years.

Top Bottom