circular sanding scratches - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default circular sanding scratches

I am struggling with circular sanding scratches and I am not sure if I am being too anal or if I am just not that good at pen finishing yet.

I sand my blanks with the lathe on then with the lathe off for each grit, making sure wipe the blank down with Denatured Alcohol between each grit. I have a strong LED light which sits on the head stock so I can clearly see the blank's surface.

It looks like all the circular scratches are gone until I whip out my magnifying glass.(i do this between each grit)

Should all the circular scratches be invisible under a magnifier?

I want to see some of my pens but with the circular scratches seen under the magnifying glass I am not sure if they are good enough quality to be selling.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Default circular sanding scratches

[quote=crashgtr;

I sand my blanks with the lathe on then with the lathe off for each grit,

[/QUOTE]

By saying you are sanding with the lathe off I assume you mean you are sanding lengthwise with the blank.

The test is at the end.

You are probably being hyper critical of your work. With enough magnification a hair can look like it has craters in it. We always ask the question, would I be happy if I bought the pen?

For us the skew is the answer not sandpaper. We hardly ever sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by Talltim; 03-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Talltim is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 11

What grits sandpaper are you using, what brand of paper and what magnification are you using?

Are you sanding the wood or the finish? Is the problem specific to a species of wood or type of finish or do you get the scratches all the time?
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 498

Try mightly to start sanding at the highest grit (and yes, master a skew, or magical skew, or carbide on the side, etc). For me, if I get too aggressive with the lowest grit and put in deep scratches - I'm toast. Very difficult to get them out. So get your tool control down to start with a higher grit, and be gentle with the sandpaper.

I also do NOT use sandpaper very often, I use abranet and have been much happier with the finish.

Keep at it - and Have FUN!

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Throw the magnifier as far away as you can. We are the worst critics when it comes to our work. How many people do you see walking around shows with loops in their pockets??? I learned long time ago if I can not see scratches with the naked eye I am golden. As said if you want to see scratches you will just keep increasing magnification.

As to your method it is hard to say what you are doing wrong because we do not have enough info. You should never have to start sanding with anything lower that 400 grit and preferably 600 grit. Always stop lathe and sand lengthwise after each grit. As you go up the scratch pattern should be getting smaller. That is what sandpaper does. Yes wipe each grit off so when you go to next higher grit you do not have grit from previous paper. Take it easy on yourself. You will get better. As someone mentioned learn to use a skew and do away with sanding all together.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 75

You didn't say what material you are sanding, and that matters. . Wood, acrylic, cured CA ?????

In my opinion, having done about 1500 pens, once you start the final finishing your LATHE SHOULD BE OFF.

If you sand with the lathe on, you will make scratches deeper than you think.

During the finishing process, the sanding should be lengthwise only, in my opinion. . Lighter strokes as you increase the grit number.

Turn the headstock by hand between the lengthwise strokes.

Last edited by magpens; 03-15-2019 at 04:12 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 6

If you want to get rid of them while examining with a 10 or 20x loupe, it is very doable.
Sharp tools, planning cuts, sanding, polishing/buffing (chemically and mechanically..whatever suits you). The same way you removed the tools marks (which are just large scratches), you can remove the radial scratches. There are hundreds of ways to approach this. Of course, if you are happy with the results you are getting; there's nothing better than that.

Perform a search on "radial scratches" or "fine scratches" and you be presented with dozens of ways that many have found to make their pen look the way they want.

My own personal objective, given I am basically just turning something square into something rounds, is to focus of the finish. However, that is just my objective for the pens that I turn. Enjoy the journey!

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpens View Post
You didn't say what material you are sanding, and that matters. . Wood, acrylic, cured CA ?????

In my opinion, having done about 1500 pens, once you start the final finishing your LATHE SHOULD BE OFF.

If you sand with the lathe on, you will make scratches deeper than you think.

During the finishing process, the sanding should be lengthwise only, in my opinion. . Lighter strokes as you increase the grit number.

Turn the headstock by hand between the lengthwise strokes.
I had previously read in other posts, and finally used, Mal's suggested sanding technique and it made a huge difference in the finish quality of my pens. Now I only sand parallel to the mandrel and with the lathe off when finishing, and it has definitely made a noticable difference in my finished pens. No more circular scratches! I also use novus 3, novus 2, and PlastX after sanding to get a nice shine.
Dr_N is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

It all is a matter of technique, practice and experience. I do the opposite of what most have said here and get perfect finishes. And while John is correct about what the eye can see, I do use a loupe in my brightly lit room.

I do not turn the lathe off and then sand end to end. With the right finishing material, the same can be attained as the lathe turns at 500 to 700 rpm. It is all a matter of what your experience is and which techniques work best for you and your ability. Like John, I do not start below 400 and often start at 600 sandpaper equivalent.

I use polish and some microfine automotive polishes often, some with .5 or .3 micron and then a polishing cloth. No swirls.

As to the use of a loupe. I found that with my eyes, when inside with daylight (5000k) LED lights, I do need a loupe to examine my finer pen finishes. The reason is, that the 5000k (daylight) bulbs do conceal the finest scratches that only a loupe/magnifying glass can show. HOWEVER, if I take the finely finished pen out in REAL daylight, suddenly I can see minuscule things that I could not inside of my well lit shop. The Loupe/Magnifying glass show me inside - what I can only see in real daylight without the loupe. Now John doesn't need the magnifying glass as he has better eye than me - his eyes are younger than mine.

Good is the enemy of Best
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-15-2019, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 104

I do doubt your thoughts about my eyes Hank. But here is my theory on the loop thing. Show me a pen that does not get scratched when put into use. if that was a $1000 pen then yes step up the finish. But unless that pen gets put in a show case it will get scratched from wear. At least i do try my best to polish to a clean shine but not going to fuss over scratches that I need a loop to see. Just me and my method.

I do not agree with sanding end to end only. You leave the chance for high spots. Spinning a blank at low speed and with a backer behind the sandpaper is the way I sand when I have to sand which is not too often. I like my skew. As always many methods and use one that works for you. No right or wrong way in anything we do in this hobby.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads