Cholla Cactus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Other than a ca finish, what are good finishes for cholla cactus?

Well, BJ because of the many twists, turns, and voids in the Cholla Cactus blank, I use a thick or gap filling CA to penetrate all those places and fill them. This makes a very clear, shiny, and smooth finish. Jim S

plantman

MicroMesh all the way up to 12000, washing between grits.

Barry; The Cholla Cactus blank is a very dry and open celled material. I personally would not add water to it before sealing it. Than again, I don't believe in getting water anywhere near my lathe to start with. Just my quirky way of doing things I guess. Jim S

KenV

Bill. --

I am in the Sonoran Desert where the Jumping Cholla abounds. The fibrous skeleton is more like balsa or perhaps bassword in hardness. Cactus Juice stabilization is good, or failing that, 5 cps thin CA glue is good.

Are you filling the voids with resins or perhaps a marine epoxy?

Sabaharr

I Cactus Juice stabilize my cholla before casting in the resin. Then I cast them in half blank sizes so I will have plenty of room in my PVC pipe molds to vacuum degas them. So far no voids to fill. The vacuum degassing is a PITA slow process but worth it in the end. Then once I have them turned I use CA for my finish. There is a video on YouTube on drilling Cholla blanks to ensure the hole is centered in the cholla even if the cholla isn't centered in the blank. You may want to view that if you haven't already.

Top Bottom