Chipping on the ends

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NV Hunter

Hi all, I am getting chipping on the end of my blinks after I have done my CA finish have any view experiences?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

Are you using metal bushings? A bit of paste wax on them can help with separation.

I tend to use delrin finishing bushings with a CA finish and have had good luck with those. I have finished with just the blank between centers (no bushings) and have had that work out as well.

Hope this helps!

wouldentu2?

You are letting the finish buildup too thick. Try putting five to ten coats of thin CA on and then remove the blank and sand tube ends to flush, then put them back on the bushings and apply more CA.

NV Hunter

I do leave the bushings on I didn't know that there were delrin I can buy. But I will have to try putting just a few coats on and removing and putting them back on one thing I am using is thick CA from the hobby story.

Jack Parker

Ian, thick CA will build up very quickly. The delrin bushing will be your best bet. You can use the paste wax as previously recommended, you may still need to very carefullly part them off to cut the built-up glue at the ends of your tubes.

csr67

Turning between centers with no bushings cured that chipping problem for me.

Same here... I used Derlin CA bushings and often got chipping or tear-out when removing the finished blank. I switched to finishing between centers and problem solved!

jttheclockman

See the difference????

ca-pen-finishing-and-between-centers-60-deg-7mm-bushing-combo-set-made-in-the-usa-pen-turning-supplies489-61-3332-1897972723-500x500.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

NV Hunter

So last night I used mold release wax and I work great now I need to make some Delrin bushings. Thanks all for the help?

Top Bottom