Car polishing compound usable for acrylic? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Finishing
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Finishing It ain't a pen till it's FINISHED!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 20

Holy cow, Andy, you must turn a LOT of pens. I'm happy to make 5-8 a week! And lucky if I make 2 that are worth selling!
jbswearingen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbswearingen View Post
Holy cow, Andy, you must turn a LOT of pens. I'm happy to make 5-8 a week! And lucky if I make 2 that are worth selling!

You do what you gotta do! I make a lot of the same "stuff". PenWife1 pours the blanks, orders what I need, keeps me focused and and "on production". So far, today, I started at 10:00 am and so far, I got 15 of "nothing special", but looking at past performances, proven "winners".

When you have to do this to pay the bills, you make what sells, no matter if you like it or not! IT TAKES ALL OF THE FUN OUT OF IT! Be careful about wishing you could make pens "all the time".

I getting ready for a new lathe.....you DON'T want to buy my old one
If it ain't broke.......then a little duct tape won't hurt it!

Last edited by PenMan1; 08-18-2011 at 09:05 PM.
PenMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

BTW, the wife is upstairs making me "lunch". I goota get back behind the lathe before she catches me "goofing off".
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I use Rubbing compound all the time on Acrylic. never had an issue. Works awesome on most woods too. Like Cocobolo, Kingwood, Lignum.
Holz Mechaniker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 82

Is any of this better than One Step? It's all I've ever used.
InvisibleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenMan1 View Post
Quote:

You do what you gotta do! I make a lot of the same "stuff". PenWife1 pours the blanks, orders what I need, keeps me focused and and "on production". So far, today, I started at 10:00 am and so far, I got 15 of "nothing special", but looking at past performances, proven "winners".

When you have to do this to pay the bills, you make what sells, no matter if you like it or not! IT TAKES ALL OF THE FUN OUT OF IT! Be careful about wishing you could make pens "all the time".

Yeah, I hear ya. I don't want this to turn into a "job". If it'll buy me new toys, er, uh, tools for my shop, I'll be happy.
jbswearingen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default If it's a job it ain't fun,

Penman1, I applaud you if you can turn pens, sell them and make a living. I enjoy turning pens and selling them, as long as it does not become a job. I had a web site once and couldn't keep up with the demand, it became a job and not fun. Now, no web site, it's fun again. But as a professional pilot, I don't need the money, anything I make off of pens goes to Wounded Warrior Project.
butchf18a is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenMan1 View Post
Quote:

Andy,

I don't think it if the question about wishing you could make pens all the time, rather than the fact you sell that many at a time. Plus I know you long enough that you actually make a profit at each pen too. Which I am proud to do too, just at a microscopic scale compared to your volume.

witz1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Your clear coat polish will work, it was designed to polish a high tech version of plastic. Try it, the worst thing that can happen is, it will not shine as much as you will like. When I first started turning pens I used DuPont white polishing compound, it worked great, but I find Novus ll, for me, works better.

Some times my mind wanders off and some times it completely leaves me.
cajun skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Marine polishes by McGuires and Dupont work just fine. The problem for me (and I was the General Sales Manager of a yacht and boat super store) is that even at wholesale pricing, all of those products are still over $16 a pint.

If you want finish materials from the boating center, the plastic windshield restorer (McGuires) is about $6 for 8 ounces and works better.

Additionally, I found that the "headlight rejuvenation system" that apparently didn't sell very well on TV ads was available at my CVS pharmacy at clearance for $5. AND, it comes with the "magic" towel that works well for cleaning fingerprints at shows.

Last edited by PenMan1; 09-06-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads