Can't get the grey out>?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NC Wood Art

I am turning a piece of Redwood lace Burl for a rollerball kit, it has some sapwood on the cap end. In the process of sanding & finishing it has acquired Grey tint to the cap end, no matter how many times I sand & finish the Grey won't go away, is it from the CA glue? Because of being a burl I had to h=go super heavy on the glue to fill some of the voids in blank during sanding. Thought it was from contaminated micro mesh but does not seem to be the case as I used brand new pack this morning with same result, how do you remove this frustrating Grey? I hate to trash a $10 blank for just a poor finish.

ghostrider

I am turning a piece of Redwood lace Burl for a rollerball kit, it has some sapwood on the cap end. In the process of sanding & finishing it has acquired Grey tint to the cap end, no matter how many times I sand & finish the Grey won't go away, is it from the CA glue? Because of being a burl I had to h=go super heavy on the glue to fill some of the voids in blank during sanding. Thought it was from contaminated micro mesh but does not seem to be the case as I used brand new pack this morning with same result, how do you remove this frustrating Grey? I hate to trash a $10 blank for just a poor finish.
Others will be along I'm sure to provide their experience.

Sounds like you sanded the bushings, and that grey you see is metal shavings.

Here's an extreme example of what it can look like, but it's usually a lot more subtle than this.

Attachments

• DSCN0708.jpg
    DSCN0708.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 171

Justturnin

I have had this happen and it was oil on the fittings and while sanding I got it on the paper and shared it w/ the blank. I would clean everything (mandrel, bushings...etc...etc) w/ some MS or DNA and make sure there is no oil.

NC Wood Art

Ok after cleaning the mandrell, bushings & recutting a little deeper than I wanted on the blanks in an effort to salvage them I was finally able to get the grey out. Man what a "PITA" this pen turned into. I may keep this to remind me of patience when having trouble on next job.

2011-10-29_17-07-21_67.jpg

Top Bottom