Can't get CA to turn out. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talfalfa33

I have five tulipwood slims to finish by Oct 1st and I have them all turned, so now is the time to finish. I've tried sanding sealer and CA/BLO for 7-8 coats. Then I micro mesh and by time I finish, it's back down to bare wood. Even after wiping down with DNA before anything. I've tried straight CA and even went as far as wiping on polyurethane after the DNA and still micro's back to bare wood with splotches of CA or poly. Splotches end up in different places each time I do the finish. I have different brands of CA and different thicknesses so I know it's not the CA or my technique cause everything I try ends the same.
So does anybody have any suggestions or other finishes that work or last as long as CA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

If you keep sanding through the CA, you can either put more CA on or sand less. Try applying more and be careful to go easy on the first few MM grits, the 1500 is about the same as 400 grit sandpaper and will remove the CA pretty quickly.

I use a dissolved plexiglas finish that is easy to apply and is as durable as CA. PM if you want info on my plexi routine.

edstreet

welcome to the world of the "I put 20 billion coats of CA on this pen!"

Seriously tho sand it good, clean up the dust and put 1-2 very thick coats of ca on it, 800 grit paper is all you need to smooth it out. Don't over sand as that will defeat the purpose. Put about 8-10 drops on the pen and just smooth it out and keep the pen spinning until it becomes mostly dry, you can tell by it will not stick to your fingers when you touch it but the shine will be removed by touching it.

The purpose of sanding is to make the CA coat uniform.

The reason you add ANOTHER coat of CA is if there is gaps, voids, holes if you will in the finish.

Mind if you share your entire process with us please? You mentioned micromesh, what other things do you use in the finishing process?

mdburn_em

It sounds like you're over-sanding and/or you are applying the CA finish too unevenly.
The purpose of sanding (for this application) is to remove imperfections in the finish...low/high spots, ridges, swirls, etc. If you apply the CA so those aren't there, you have very little work to do in sanding.

I apply thin CA with a doubled piece of shop towel (blue) and a strip of baggie under it so I don't end up adorned with shop towel pieces stuck to my fingers.

CA is applied from the top with the towel underneath.
They move in unison from right to left across the blank, one time.
lightly puff accelerator on the still spinning blank. Did I mention lightly?
repeat immediately 4 or 5 times.

I grab 600 or 800 grit sandpaper and lightly sand. This sanding will reveal ridges/valleys.
I stop and still using the same sandpaper, sand right to left. Just enough to ensure good coverage of the blank.
I go to 1200 grit. same routine
1500 grit -> 2000 grit -> MM 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 and micro gloss.
All I'm doing is getting rid of the sanding pattern of the previous grit. I'm polishing more than sanding.
If you start out with a smooth CA application, sanding is easy and no sanding through your finish.

I've had the same can of accelerant for a couple years.

switch62

I also had the same problem with CA. When I first started I got bare wood on the bulge of the curved barrel. I have almost perfected my technique with CA finish.

I use the technique shown by Dave at timberbits, here, with some variations. I usually put on 20 coats of thin CA, sometimes a few more if the wood is very absorbent.

The CA I use is about water thin, some thin CAs are DNA thin. I also use an accelerator to make sure each coat has set, other wise you could be rubbing off the previous coat. Because I use a hand pump for the accelerator and get a thicker mist, I only spray every other coat. There is enough left on the surface to set the next coat. I don't drip the CA onto the wood, I apply 2 drops onto the paper towel. I use top part of towel for barrel and bottom part for cap, go through all 10, and re-use the backs for the next 10 coats (CA on the towels should be set by then). You'll need to customise your technique as changing the type/brand of CA or even the paper towel will change your results.

When I sand the CA I start with 800 wet and dry, wet sanding. I sand just enough to get an even dull finish. I sand with a 1" strip for about 5 seconds moving back and forth across the barrel/cap. I then stop, dry the barrel/cap and check for shiny or high spots. I will then sand those areas, stop, and check, until they are gone or very small. I will then cross sand, this gets rid of the last shiny bits.

I then wet sand with 1000, 1200, then through all the micro mesh grits. I only sand for 2-5 seconds for each grit. I only cross sand every 3rd grit (800, 1200, 2400, 4000, 12000). Then Brasso and car polish.

When sanding a curved barrel/cap, I spend less time on the bulge and try to angle the paper/pad to match the curve. The secret is to sand as little as possible.

I hope this helps. Keep trying as it will take a bit of time to get the knack.

soundman

One thing that may help.

I apply CA with a cotton bud ( or as you may say a Q tip).

I put one generous drop on the cotton bud ( enough that the cotton tip is wet and it flows on the work) and apply that to the timber with the lathe running.

I find I use less CA, I get more controll and it keeps my fingers away from the glue.

The coats may be thinner, but if you get it right, the coat flows on smoothly and there is very little to sand off.

new application new cotton bud

because the coats are thinner I find less need to use accelerator...it seems to me that the accelerator often makes the finish lumpy......

I prefeer to walk away from the lathe for a minute rather than use the accelerator, and if I do use accelaeator I let the CA go off a little first...it seems to effect the finish less.

try it....tell me how you go.

cheers

76winger

It sounds like you're over-sanding and/or you are applying the CA finish too unevenly.
The purpose of sanding (for this application) is to remove imperfections in the finish...low/high spots, ridges, swirls, etc. If you apply the CA so those aren't there, you have very little work to do in sanding.

I apply thin CA with a doubled piece of shop towel (blue) and a strip of baggie under it so I don't end up adorned with shop towel pieces stuck to my fingers.

CA is applied from the top with the towel underneath.
They move in unison from right to left across the blank, one time.
lightly puff accelerator on the still spinning blank. Did I mention lightly?
repeat immediately 4 or 5 times.

I grab 600 or 800 grit sandpaper and lightly sand. This sanding will reveal ridges/valleys.
I stop and still using the same sandpaper, sand right to left. Just enough to ensure good coverage of the blank.
I go to 1200 grit. same routine
1500 grit -> 2000 grit -> MM 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 and micro gloss.
All I'm doing is getting rid of the sanding pattern of the previous grit. I'm polishing more than sanding.
If you start out with a smooth CA application, sanding is easy and no sanding through your finish.

I've had the same can of accelerant for a couple years.

The key word Mark mentions here and needs to be stressed is "LIGHTY".

Lightly on the accelerator because too much will cause the CA to blister.

Lightly on the sanding so you don't go all the way through.
Also lightly on the sand because the more pressure you apply, the deeper you sand scratches will be, and thus the more CA you have to remove to get rid of the scratches.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

joefrog

This video shows a process that has been very successful for me. I've tweeked it a little, but basically this is how I do it.

WoodTurning BLO and CA Pen Finish - YouTube

Interesting! I've never tried combining CA with BLO -- I guess I thought it would prevent the CA from sticking as well. Can you get BLO at the big box store, or do I have to go to Woodcraft or another source?

Thanks!

alphageek

Former Moderator
This video shows a process that has been very successful for me. I've tweeked it a little, but basically this is how I do it.

Interesting! I've never tried combining CA with BLO -- I guess I thought it would prevent the CA from sticking as well. Can you get BLO at the big box store, or do I have to go to Woodcraft or another source?

Thanks!

I got a quart at a big box store... then put it into a little bottle (1oz from walmart type paint) so that it keeps fresher and is easier to use.

joefrog

Thanks!

I got a quart at a big box store... then put it into a little bottle (1oz from walmart type paint) so that it keeps fresher and is easier to use.

I tried the above technique last night, with less-than-stellar results. Maybe I did something wrong, I'm not sure. I'll try it again!

rd_ab_penman

Med CA Only Pen Blank Finish

No sanding involved for final finishing, just use Super Fine Steel Wool and polish.
Mixing anything with CA causing too many problems.
Works great for me.

Les

Attachments

• Medium CA Only Pen Finishing.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
After I found(was told) wet sanding my trouble with CA was gone! Are you wet sanding or dry sanding? Try wet sanding and you only need those 2 more coarse MM for a few seconds each. Don't sand until you are done applying the CA! Each new coat kind of melts into the last anyway and you just don't need to do anything between! By the time I mastered CA I found I was allergic if that happens to you look at friction polish. That is what I do now and I am starting to get a good shine out of that without all the crap CA fumes!

Top Bottom