Can this blank be saved?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

orlandopens

Last evening I turned an ebony blank and finished it with CA. I have done this many times with oily woods and done so successfully. I clean the blank with mineral spirits and then brush on liberal coats of acetone, wipe the blank with clean towel and allow to air dry.

This attempt failed. As you can see in the photo the finished "ghosted" (I believe that's what you call it.) Weather conditions in the shop were horrible (Shop temp 85 degrees, extreme humidity), I used BLO (a mistake) and I probably overheated the blank in the application (another mistake).

My bad. Now I know better - but my question is this: Can the blank be salvaged?

The photo shows the blank after sanding off the bad finish finished. A pattern still remains in the finish. Is there a cure? I haven't been able to sand through the darkened areas. Can I soak it in acetone to remove the splotches?

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 332
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

....Cannot help you w/that! I'd call it "Burl" and proceed! I like just as it is! Be well....Jan

plano_harry

Have you tried the acetone again? That might even it out. If not, my next approach would be a fresh coat of CA and look at the result. If it is still showing uneven, you could continue sanding until the blotches are gone and then build up with more CA until you get back to finished dia. I have not had this problem, but that would be my approach. You can take off a fair amount of wood and still get a good end result. Let us know how you solve it.

Janster

..sand through it and build it up, IF there is enough material left. Perhaps a bath in BLEACH would work?...Good luck!

KenV

..sand through it and build it up, IF there is enough material left. Perhaps a bath in BLEACH would work?...Good luck!

Use wood bleach and not laundry bleach -- Chlorine will do bad things.

Wood bleaches are commonly oxalic acid based

jsolie

I remember way back in Jr. High woodshop we'd make things out of pine. For some projects, the shop teacher would have us lightly scorch the pine with a butane torch then rub down with steel wool. I'm wondering if something similar would help, but don't burn the wood! Maybe as a last resort if other methods don't work?

Top Bottom