CA Thin where to buy locally?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray1955

I am in Myrtle Beach SC......I have ordered stuff online but was told it went out UPS and then 3 days later was told they didn't pick package up and it was over a week before I received my stuff.

I have CA thick but seems for finishing I need CA thin.....would like to buy it locally if possible does anyone know where near me I could find this or any other type of stuff for wood turning etc......thanks in advance.

Ray
:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I just use the normal superglue (not the gel) from Harbor Freight ... I get it in a 10-pack for $2.99 ... .10 oz each tube.

campzeke

Try any local hobby shop or craft store. I buy Bob Smith Industries (BSI) CA at a local Hobby Town store. BSI CA is often private labeled for hobby shops but usually still has the BSI logo somewhere in the bottle. Hobby Town carries a full line of CA and epoxy products and a lot of other cool stuff too! The only problem I've had with BSI CA is it makes my fingers stick to things. It may have something to do with the way I use it .... not sure. Still haven't figured that part out yet.

MrPukaShell

Find the type of CA you like then go to their website and do a search. I found the kind I like at a Piano repair place, go figure. They have great prices and like to give a local business my dollars.

Bikerdad

Yup, local hobby shop. Whether it caters to the plastic modellers, R/C car, R/C aircraft, model railroaders, what have you, every hobby shop I've been into has a decent selection of CA. The ONLY thing they rarely have is the super thin stuff that is sold as pen finish.

chartle

I just use the normal superglue (not the gel) from Harbor Freight ... I get it in a 10-pack for $2.99 ... .10 oz each tube.

I would call the HF super glue medium, but OP I googled Myrtle
Beach Hobby Shops and found quite a few. Many more than around my much larger metro area.

Skie_M

Mmmm ... this stuff is pretty thin, in my opinion .... I occasionally like to use the gel version for gluing my tubes if there's a bit of a gap to fill due to oversized hole drilling (I'm not perfect!).

I got a big bottle of 2P10 from BrianG in one of last year's PITH events. It's a thin rubberized CA made for segmenting type work ... a very thoughtful gift and I'm planning on putting that to use soon on something nice.

I also found out that if you use a LOT of Harbor Freight CA at once (like 20+ tubes, lol!) it can take up to a week to cure ....

This stuff ends up rock hard, and quite clear if you don't use accelerators or other things to speed up the cure.

I cast a blank (bottle stopper size) using crushed tumble polished abalone shell and CA ... it came out with a lot of bubbles and some white hazing that looks like reef coral. I'll have to post a picture of the finished item whenever I get it made ... :)

chartle

Mmmm ... this stuff is pretty thin, in my opinion ....

OK I'll have to check out a bottle I just bought hours ago. I had some thin that came in a pink topped bottle but i think its empty and or gunked up..

Skie_M

Oh ... I never use the bottles.

10-pack of .10 oz superglue tubes from Harbor Freight Tools ... $2.99 a pack.

One tube typically lets me do a single 2-barrel pen ... from gluing in the brass tubes to all the layers of finish. I never have to worry about an expired or gunked up plugged bottle, ect .... and if I forget to cap the silly thing, it's a minor annoyance instead of an expensive waste.

I got that advice from Adam Savage ... he loves the little disposable tubes too! :)

Top Bottom