CA Thickness

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

This may be "impossible" to answer, but...

If I am doing one barrel, with medium CA, with 5 drops on a paper towel; how thick of a layer am I getting?

If this is "unanswerable" as I suspect, just tell me.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Too many variables to accurately answer - absorbency of paper towel, type of wood, amount of pressure applied, actual viscosity of the CA, length of barrel, diameter of barrel, etc.

Wheaties

That's what I figured.

This just popped into my head to use calipers... duh.

Ok, just disreguard this thread.

tim self

Just my opinion but 5 drops of CA on one application is WAY to much. I normally do 1-3 coats at a time. I've been there and ended up sanding to much.

Wheaties

Just my opinion but 5 drops of CA on one application is WAY to much. I normally do 1-3 coats at a time. I've been there and ended up sanding to much.

Even taking into consideration the towel soaking some up? I would image that less drops would result in hardly anything on the pen. But that's why I ask.

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
It will also depend upon your particular application technique.

5 drops may be too much for some peoples technique and not nearly enough for others (it wouldn't be for the technique I use).

Experiment and see what works best for you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
From observing people here for a while, until their technique is perfected with experience, 5 drops on a paper towel seems to be too little for most people. The most common theme along these lines is "Why is the CA dull in one spot?" While the answer can be several items, the most common is that too little of CA is applied and it is sanded through. That happens because it is assumed that all of the CA makes it to the wood, - which you know that it doesn't.

Experiment with more and see if that helps. I was unable to buy CA in quantities more than 1 oz over here for a while and I started using rubber gloves and applying directly for a faster and more efficient use. Then 2 years ago, I found that Monty could ship it overseas and I started using paper towel again some of the time! :biggrin:

JimB

Just to throw another curve at you, I use wax paper to apply CA. Since there isn't any absorbtion I use 2 drops of thin CA for the first coat and 1 drop thin CA for all coats after that.

keithlong

Just my 2 cents worth, I use the blue shop towels, I put one drop of BLO and 3 drops of CA on top of that. Six coats total, followed by a coat of one step polish,buffed with a clean piece of towel.

Top Bottom