CA over Alumilite.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Racer3770

Hey guys!

I had a question about finishing a segmented pen I'm working on. The segment includes maple wood and alumilite resin. When I first started using alumilite, I was awful at finishing the blank so I coated it in Stickfast CA glue to get a good shine. These looked great... for a few months. Over time I've noticed bubbles forming on the pens that received this treatment.

What are some recommendations you have for finishing these types of pens with wood and alumilite? Ideally I'd like to coat the wood in CA so I can apply a decal to the wood. Are there other types of CA out there that won't react with alumilite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jadey

Hey guys!

I had a question about finishing a segmented pen I'm working on. The segment includes maple wood and alumilite resin. When I first started using alumilite, I was awful at finishing the blank so I coated it in Stickfast CA glue to get a good shine. These looked great... for a few months. Over time I've noticed bubbles forming on the pens that received this treatment.

What are some recommendations you have for finishing these types of pens with wood and alumilite? Ideally I'd like to coat the wood in CA so I can apply a decal to the wood. Are there other types of CA out there that won't react with alumilite?

I use a combo of all alumilite and wood all the time. I sand to 600, clean with denatured alcohol and then coat with mercury flex thin then medium. Micro Mesh, polish and then done! Great results! Used other brands of CA with no ill effects, just happen to like the mercury flex the best.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Racer3770

Hey guys!

I use a combo of all alumilite and wood all the time. I sand to 600, clean with denatured alcohol and then coat with mercury flex thin then medium. Micro Mesh, polish and then done! Great results! Used other brands of CA with no ill effects, just happen to like the mercury flex the best.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Thanks for the endorsement! I'll have to give it a try!

magpens

I have coated Alumilite/wood hybrid blanks with Stickfast CA (and other brands) many, many times without any problems. . They still look great after 3 or 4 years. . I just wipe down the blanks with a clean rag beforehand, but I don't use any alcohol or anything else.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just WHERE are the bubbles forming? under the CA and over the wood? Under the CA and over the Alumilite? At the joint of the wood and Alumilite?

CA doesn't do that months later; Alumilite doesn't either if properly mixed and cured. Is the alumilite old? Was the wood green or recently harvested?, or moisture in the wood? Sorry for all the questions but there are reasons for the bubbles and as much information as possible will help solve the problem.

Racer3770

Just WHERE are the bubbles forming? under the CA and over the wood? Under the CA and over the Alumilite? At the joint of the wood and Alumilite?

CA doesn't do that months later; Alumilite doesn't either if properly mixed and cured. Is the alumilite old? Was the wood green or recently harvested?, or moisture in the wood? Sorry for all the questions but there are reasons for the bubbles and as much information as possible will help solve the problem.

Thank you for the reply! I think you might be on to something with the old alumilite. I'm looking at the old pens that have the bubbling issue and they are all from my first batch of casting from years ago. Maybe it isn't the CA at all.

Top Bottom