CA Over Acrylic...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbarrash

I have a project where I need to apply decals to a turned pen blank. The color of the blank needs to be white to ivory / cream in color. If I do not go with a wood and go with Alt. Ivory, Casein, TrueStone, etc, How well will CA work as a finish. I have never used CA on Acrylics like I do on wood trunings. However to cover the decal properly, I will need something of this type of finish. However I did finish a Corian blank with CA and it looked great. But it had laser etching on it. Suggestions or comments? Thanks, Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotblanks

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I turned a few "wasted wood" blanks about a year ago, finished with CA and they looked perfect, until just recently. The CA still looks great on the wood part but is lifting off of the resin sections. Any ideas why?

Randy

hewunch

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I turned a few "wasted wood" blanks about a year ago, finished with CA and they looked perfect, until just recently. The CA still looks great on the wood part but is lifting off of the resin sections. Any ideas why?

Randy

What grit did you go up to before finish? I usually stop at 400 so there is something for the CA to bite to.

hotblanks

Randy

What grit did you go up to before finish? I usually stop at 400 so there is something for the CA to bite to.

I probably went up to 1,000. Will the CA fill in the scratches on the resin so they won't be visible?

hewunch

Randy

I probably went up to 1,000. Will the CA fill in the scratches on the resin so they won't be visible?

It will, very nicely.

Fireengines

This weekend I tried using water slide decals on a scrap acrylic blank. These are high quality decals printed by a company that specializes in printing decals for the model industry.

I placed the decal on the finished blank and applied Microscale Micro Set to the decal. Amoung other things, Microscale Micro Set converts the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and longer lasting one.

I let it sit for 24 hours. finally, at a low speed, I applied the CA with a light touch. After one CA application the decal evaporated.

Top Bottom