CA life span?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fisherhahn

Does CA have a life span? I have some thin and medium that are about 6+ months old. On some recent pens I've started getting to cracking and checking in the finish that I've never experienced before after then pens are about a week or 2 old. Having read some other posts on finishes cracking, I don't think it is a moisture or temperature issue as the temp in my basement is pretty consistent. The accelerator I'm using is newer than the CA and didn't give me any problems with the same CA several months ago. Could it be getting too old? I had been using cheap thin Harbor Freight CA for about a year and never had any problems, but would burn through the bottles too quick so I bought some bigger bottles. What stinks is I recently sold a bunch of pens to my wife's co-workers so I had to get the word out that if there is a problem with any of the finishes to get them back to me ASAP. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

wood-of-1kind

Yes, CA does have a limited lifespan and you can prolong the shelf life by storing in a cool place like a refrigerator or as in my case our 'cantina'. I use Loctite CA 495 and the shelf life is approximately 1 year.

Top Bottom