CA glue method

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Math2010

Hi everybody,

Hope you're doing well!

I want to use decal paper on my pen blank, so I read a lot and watch videos on the subject. I understood that you need to use CA glue finish to success with decal paper.

So I watched a lot of CA glue finish videos. I'm a bit mixed up... I'm ok with the fact that the technique is not the same from a person to another. But what I try to figure out, is what do you use after the CA glue. People seems to put a wax or something. Is it necessary and what kind of wax or polish do you use?

Thank you!:)

glycerine

A lot of people use CA glue AS the finish. Once you get your decal glued on, continue building up layers of CA glue (which means you might need to overturn your work slightly to have room to build back up). Then lightly sand with increasingly fine grits of sandpaper and finish off with a plastic polish.
Does that make any sense?

Dave Turner

I just run through the micromesh grits to achieve a great shiny finish. If you want to go the extra mile, you can also use a buffer to make the residual scratches even smaller. I use this abrasive from Caswell for my final buff. I find it helpful to buff along the long axis of the blank. If you want to go even further, you can coat the blank (and pen) after assembly with Renaissance Wax and hand buff with a soft cloth. This doesn't make it any shinier, but it helps prevent fingerprints when the pen is handled.

Top Bottom