CA funkiness

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I am working on a pen and everything has gone wrong. You name it it has happened. I have had to turn the CA off this pen three times so far. Those three times were my fault. The fourth time was supposed to be a charm and it was. When I finished the initial application of the CA it was good to go. Considering the last time I CAed a pen it turned white because, I assume, water got under the finish at the end or it was not cured enough. I let the dried tubes sit on the lathe bed for a couple days just to be sure. In that time it got cold. Our high today was in the 30s and it rained/snowed too. When I went to sand and finish the tubes I noticed cracks These were not there 3 days ago. The cracks follow the CA swirl pattern I always get when I build the CA up. This has not happened before. I sanded with 400 then hit the tube with rubbing compound to see if the cracks were just hanging out. They are all the way down to the wood. I am seriously scratching my head on this one.

My camera will not focus close enough to get a pic. Could these be freeze cracks? And if so how did it happen? They are only where the high points are/were in the finish.

Stats
Wood-Amboyna burl

2 coats of Stickfast thin CA then 5-6 coats of medium

Stickfast accelerator between coats of medium.

Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

There was an issue with certain lot number of ca accelerant ... Try doing a search for a similar thread for more info.
Maybe that has something to do with it.
Temperature and humidity can cause all kinds of problems as well.

Does your camera have a macro feature? .... Usually a flower symbol ..?

Haynie

I did read it and that was my first thought when I saw it today. I am not convinced that is the issue though. In fact I am positive. The cracking, as I read it was all over the tube. This was only in the thickest CA ridges. Not in the valleys and did not happen until after the blanks were dry sometime between Tuesday and today. I have used this CA and accelerator without an issue. That is why I call it funkiness. Now they are both old, as in bought last year, and maybe that is the issue but why only cracking in the thickest areas?

My camera is not a point and shoot so if I want Macro I need to buy a macro lens. Can't afford one right now.

Last edited:

76winger

I had similar, but it was a random crackling (cracked glass) appearance. What's similar is mine didn't show for for several days to several weeks on one, following the polishing and finishing. I however, did have a new can of Stickfast accelerator in the mix so I followed with the other thread.

My fix for each was to sand back down to the surface and build up with thin CA only and no accelerator. After a couple coats I had to let it set up for 10-15 minutes before applying the next couple coats, the wait again, etc., until I had about 12-14 coats on it. Then re-sanded and Micromeshed, as before to finish.

I've been sort of waiting to hear an update where they've fixed the accelerator, because everything was fine with the old can I had. Otherwise I'll consider a different brand or just continuing without it. Haven't given this a lot thought yet due to many other "irons in the fire".

Splinter

Why are you using accelerate on a CA finish on a pen?

Have you tried using Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) prior to each coat of CA and not using accelerate at all? Rub the BLO on with the lathe running at app. 1100 rpm then follow with CA, followed by BLO followed by CA, etc.

longbeard

What kind of ca are you using?
I use satellite city super T med, and stick fast accelerator
a pass with ca, then hit it with accelerator. My guess is the temp. in your shop, and moisture is your problem. My .02 cents worth.

Top Bottom