CA Fumes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

khansen

Okay, I'm a newbie to CA finish and have enjoyed perusing the many threads on here, and quite a few youtube videos. But I haven't found any mention yet of something I have experienced, and it has me scratching my head. I'm one of those stubborn people who needs bi-focals but refuses to admit it. I just take off my glasses and get closer. Well, I have noticed an occasional burning sensation in my eyes when I'm applying the CA. Anybody else have this happen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

CA can iritate eyes when the fumes get strong. All you need is some air movement to keep the fume concentrations down. I put a dust collector pick-up behind my lathe, others mount a fan close by to keep the air moving.

Jim Burr

Banned
Yup...catalyzing reaction, then it goes exothermic...fan and plenty of ventilation...if you aren't wearing eye and face protection...well...don't get me started...hope you have health insurance.

trapper

yep tried it dont like it also feel its a tooo plasticy finnish gone back to friction polish. I use grain sealer then build up as in french polishing, with acrylics i use brasso metal polish and then build up using worktop sealer and then go back to finnishing polishes not saying its right or wrong but seems to work and gives a glass like finnish rather than the foggy finnish i have experienced with ca

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do a search for "CA Allergies" and you will see a long list of this. Fumes, CA dust, can cause some severe allergies; CA curing can cause blistering, Fumes cause Eyes burning - quite common.

But do be aware that some people work with CA just fine and after a few months or even a few years, suddenly strong flu like symptoms develop overnight after finishing a pen.

Ways around this reaction: Use a good dust collector system, use a very good face mask, use a fan to blow the fumes away from you. Or use a different finish.

I made pens for about 2 years and then one evening after making a few pens - wham - hard flu like symptoms and even double vision. It didn't take me long to make a good DC system and find a double canister face mask to use while making pens.

Top Bottom