CA Finshe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

danroggensee

I tried my first ca finsh today boy oh boy does that stuff stink and made my eyes burn to. But will keep trying. Do you guys uses paper towels to but in on that is what i used or is there something better???

Dannie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

If you can find some .010 Delrin sheet it works great,cut into strips about 3/4 to 1 inch wide also try a zip lock bag over your finger,
1 you won't waste as much CA
2You'll get a smoother finish before sanding.
3 you can feel the heat as the CA starts to cure,
If you can find the Delrin sheet, you can save 2/3rds or more of your CA, Joe Collazo used to sell it in the classifieds but he's been ill of late and hasn't been heard from in some time, I use that and I love it. you can build up a pretty thick coat with just a drop or two, Paper towels work OK but they soak up too much CA so you'r getting more on the paper than on the blank

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I use the white Scott shop towels, get them at Walley World or Lowe's or HD.
Also, if you have small fan blowing across the pen away from you, it really cuts down on the CA fumes in the eyes and nose. Or turn you dust collector on (if you have one) and suck the fumes away.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just a note on this - I don't like Paper towel because it does soak up the majority of CA. CA is available in Japan but in about 1 oz sizes for roughly $7 to $9., so I had to be careful with it.

Since I now order 2 or more 8 oz size bottles from Monty for the same price each as 1 oz here.

Purpose of Paper towel as an applicant:
Since I buy it in bulk from Monty, I have gone back to using paper towel more often. The deal with paper towel is that it acts as a mild accelerant (and sometimes hot accelerant), speeding up the curing process. Don't ignore this aspect. You may not need it but then again it may be helpful.

If you want thick layers, use delrin strips or rubber gloves. If not, then use paper towel.

WARNING: CA fumes and CA sanding dust cause some people to become sensitized to it over time (which varies with individuals) and causes flu like symptoms. I have had double vision a couple of times the next day; severe flu like symptoms lasting 3 to 4 days. Now I use filtered masks, gogles (over glasses) and a DC system, rubber gloves and old long sleeve shirts in the summer. I keep a damp towel close by to wipe down my hands and sleeves after applying and sanding CA.

Last edited:

JimB

I use wax paper to apply CA. I just use a small piece folded a few times to make it thicker. You only need 1 or 2 drops of CA since it isn't getting absorbed like it would with paper towel.

I had the same problem with the fumes burning my eyes and sometimes got very mild flu like symptoms. Since I don't have dust a collector I use my shop vac as a dust collector. It sucks all the fumes away and I no longer have any problems.

george

I have tried many things, like plastic bags with kits come into, sponges, but end up at the thick paper towel. Since I work in quite large workshop with a lot of dust, I rearly smell Ca curing. That is why I usualy touch with my finger to see when it has dried. Good luck.

GouletPens

I use the white Scott shop towels, get them at Walley World or Lowe's or HD.
Also, if you have small fan blowing across the pen away from you, it really cuts down on the CA fumes in the eyes and nose. Or turn you dust collector on (if you have one) and suck the fumes away.
I second this

Get yourself a dust collector hookup if you don't have one....you should use one for turning and sanding the wood anyway, whether you're using CA or not....a lot of these woods we work with are SERIOUSLY toxic!!!!:eek::eek:

I tried my first ca finsh today boy oh boy does that stuff stink and made my eyes burn to. But will keep trying. Do you guys uses paper towels to but in on that is what i used or is there something better???

Dannie

I like to use the foam sheets that comes wrapped around electronics.. cut into little squares... the CA doesn't stick to the foam, it's smooth and lint free and I don't get as much CA on my fingers as when I use the paper towels.:wink:

Top Bottom