CA Finishing and Wet Sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Do you wet sand your CA finish?

• I wet sand using Micro Mesh or the like.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • I wet sand with a non-MM abrasive (AO, etc.)

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I use MM, but dry.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • I don't wet sand, nor use an abrasive after 600 or 1,000 grit.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I don't see my process here.

Votes: 13 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TonyL

I would like to ask the kind folks of the IAP about CA finishing and wet sanding. I know that some do and some don't to wet sand (I "damp" sand because I don't soak the MM and I blot it on a paper towel before apply to the CA finish.I I do know that many use a liquid polish and/or buffing wheel, but I am not asking about that.

Thanks for participating in the poll.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm a wet sander. I do 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 & 2000. Each grit has its own water bath (no cross contamination) and I wipe off any slurry with a separate paper towel before starting the next grit. I then start polishing with Novus 3 & 2. Final polish/buff with Beall wheels. Might seem WAY over the top but, doggone, I like the results.

Also, I managed to develop an adverse reaction to CA dust (spell that "a-l-l-e-r-g-y") so I use a respirator when I sand and wet sanding helps keep the dust to a minimum.

flyitfast

Tony, when you say wet sand, do you mean with water?
I answered wet sand, but I use Mineral Spirits instead of water. I feel it lubes the process and gives a slurry that produces an even better shine.
Gordon

SteveG

I answered "Yes" to MicroMesh wet, which is what I do using 3 of the coarse-to-medium grits MM. I then switch to coarse polish and finally use fine and ultra fine buffing wheels. Mine is just one of a Ba-zillion different ways to make 'em shine!

TonyL

Tony, when you say wet sand, do you mean with water?
I answered wet sand, but I use Mineral Spirits instead of water. I feel it lubes the process and gives a slurry that produces an even better shine.
Gordon

Thanks for the question Gordon. I did mean water, but the poll could mean any liquid. I will have to give that a try!

Rink

Wet sand through all the MM grits, with cross sanding of the first four grits. Then Hut plastic polish twice. Beautiful

RedBeard

I don't sand CA at all. I use the BLO/CA concoction and it gets rubbed back and forth enough that it comes out smooth enough that I don't feel it needs any sanding. After the last coat of finish I do a few applications of PlastX though.

TonyL

I have used that process and like it when I am in a rush. I don't get a crystal clear, high gloss finish, but it is a real time saving and excellent finish. I copied the YouTube and share it with others a few months ago. The YT was 6 years old though.

edstreet

Are you doing a collective population density of fail? These poll questions are not well rounded nor concise enough to get any good conclusive information. I fail to see the meaning of only a small select group of answers like this.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are you doing a collective population density of fail? These poll questions are not well rounded nor concise enough to get any good conclusive information. I fail to see the meaning of only a small select group of answers like this.

Isn't it a bit ego-centric to say that a small group of answers won't yield good conclusive information, but your individual answer will---ALWAYS!!!

edstreet

Isn't it a bit ego-centric to say that a small group of answers won't yield good conclusive information, but your individual answer will---ALWAYS!!!

Never said mine would, never implied at but you did and I do thank you for that perk

On the topic at hand and not derailing it like you did I have to ask how may voted that are unable to do ca finished yet decided to vote anyways.

The poll is biased slanted towards specific methods and ignored others.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The person initiating the poll knows what information he was seeking, he is able to judge whether it is fulfilling it's purpose or not.

Neither you nor I have the ability to make the judgement for him. I suspect Tony will do fine. When you comment on Facebook you have arranged for me, Dawn and most of our friends not to see it. That is a much better idea, on your part.

Hide back there.

I am confident Tony will forgive my momentary pursuit of your derailing.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks for the feedback Ed. I can use another set of eyes on this:

I am using stratified statistical sampling to calculate the coefficient correlation between those strata that respond to parochially-phrased and prolix questions; and wet sanding.:biggrin:

TonyL

The person initiating the poll knows what information he was seeking, he is able to judge whether it is fulfilling it's purpose or not.

Neither you nor I have the ability to make the judgement for him. I suspect Tony will do fine. When you comment on Facebook you have arranged for me, Dawn and most of our friends not to see it. That is a much better idea, on your part.

Hide back there.

I am confident Tony will forgive my momentary pursuit of your derailing.

Of course you are forgiven Ed...but not for spelling judgment with an "e" LOL. :)

RKB

...."I am using stratified statistical sampling to calculate the coefficient correlation between those strata that respond to parochially-phrased and prolix questions; and wet sanding"...

....some seriously funny stuff right there....

Thanks Tony for all your posts.
I'm still laughing.

Rod

SteveG

This is NOT "....some seriously funny stuff right there...."

Tony said it and he MEANS IT! (I can tell, in a seriously funny way, that it is not intended to be judgemental!)

TonyL

This is NOT "....some seriously funny stuff right there...."

Tony said it and he MEANS IT! (I can tell, in a seriously funny way, that it is not intended to be judgemental!)

Hi Steve:

Funny!
I was just having fun. Seriously, I do appreciate everyone's feedback - whether a response to the survey or the approach (to it). This is about sharing information and ideas; I think it's great that folks are willing to share their process - albeit, in this case, just about MM and water.

PS. I really like the Poseidon btw. I made one for myself a few days ago. I need to take a pic.

Gus Jr

I sand wood blanks with 320, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000 dry. Acrylics I wet sand with 400, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 12000. Then I polish both.

TonyL

Thanks to all that responded and in many cased furnished their process.
I also enjoyed the playful banter.

It appears that the preponderance of respondents wet sand using MM.

Thanks to all!

rd_ab_penman

None of the above.
Turn to size
Dry sand radially then laterally with 400 grit only
Buff radially then laterally with extra fine steel wool
Polish with Hut Ultra gloss
Two minute finishing process.
6X Loupe looks as good as Micro Mesh
IMHO Micro Mesh is a waste of money and time.

Les

TonyL

Well Les...your work certainly speaks for itself!. This weekend, I actually bought the 0000 steel wool at a woodworking store after learning about your process. I can't say that I achieved anywhere near your finish, but I will keep trying. Thanks again!

Skie_M

Yes, I'm interested in that process too, Les. Can you tell us your relative turning speeds when you are sanding and buffing? Using heavy, medium, or light pressure?

What materials do you use this process on? (wood, acrylic, antler, ect...)

Also, how durable is the finish? Is it water resistant or water proof? Will it wear off over time fairly quickly or does it last a while? Does it need to be periodically refreshed or do you just buff it on a wheel to bring the shine back?

Last edited:

JD Combs Sr

Didn't see this in time to vote but FWIW, I wet sand everything using MM through all the grits. Generally I have a plastic lidded container with water and the MM pads in it and usually did not take them out except to change the water every month or so. Never had any trouble with that process until my current set of pads. MM must have change the glue that holds the mesh to the foam pad because this set the mesh was separating from the pad in just a couple to three months of use. Took them all out and dried them and sprayed the loose mesh with 3M 77 contact cement, allowed it to tack-up then put them back together and was back in business.

Skeleton2014

I sand wood blanks with 320, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000 dry. Acrylics I wet sand with 400, 600, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 12000. Then I polish both.

Ditto...This is pretty much how I do mine so, I'm not sure exactly how to answer your poll since I do both wet and dry sanding depending on the blank material :confused:
Jeff

Skeleton2014

Ditto...This is pretty much how I do mine so, I'm not sure exactly how to answer your poll since I do both wet and dry sanding depending on the blank material :confused:
Jeff

I guess this is a moot point since I missed the poll and it is closed now.
Jeff

Top Bottom